re james hawkins primitive methodist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re james hawkins primitive methodist

i am sorry if i have put this in the wrong place.
    the only information i can find about my great great grandfather james hawkins the primitive methodist minister is.he was born at Viney hill Gloucestershire in 1835.he married a lady called anne tuffin who was the daughter of a reverend Robert Tuffin.it would appear he was stationed at the following churches.
    1859 stroud
    1861 penzance
    1863 bath
    1865 st day
    1866 t ives
    1867 seend cleeve
    1869 st austell
    1873 monmouth
    1876 penzance
    1878 st ives
    1881 brierley hill
    1883 worcester this was his last station george street chapel as in 1885 he died from Diabetes/Phthisis/and Haemophysis.gertrude his daughter was there when he passed away.the address he was living at was no 4 albert terrace Fort Royal Hill worcester.as i say i dont know where he is buried.i rang the local graveyards in the area but nothing.the places i have tried are mainly to do with the methodist archives in manchester and birmingham.thats all i have to go on.
    many thanks for your help and im sorry if i have put this in the wrong place.
    kind regards steven jacklin

Hello Steven and welcome to FTF.

I wonder if this might be better on Research???? I'm sure someone can move it for you.

Do you have James on any census???

Some of my lot were Primitive Methodists (not clergy, just members) in Devon and were actually descended from Sir John Hawkins.

How we have gone downhill since then....lol

What is it you are looking for???

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
      Hello Steven and welcome to FTF.

I wonder if this might be better on Research???? I'm sure someone can move it for you.

Do you have James on any census???

Some of my lot were Primitive Methodists (not clergy, just members) in Devon and were actually descended from Sir John Hawkins.

How we have gone downhill since then....lol

What is it you are looking for???
      i only have him on the 1881 census and i would just like to find where he was laid to rest and i knew i would have poste it in the wrong place,im hopless on computers

Comment

Hi Chieftain, and Welcome - I expect this will be moved but I will make a start on the census:

1881 Census
        Class: RG11; Piece: 2341; Folio: 49; Page: 27;
        Tregenna Terrace St Ives

James Hawkins 45 Primitive Methodist Minister of Primitive Methodist Chapel
        Ann 38 born Wiltshire Salisbury
        Edith M. 16 Cornwall Chacewater
        Winifred A. 15 Cornwall ditto
        Elizabeth M. 13 Cornwall dtto
        Gertrude E. 11 Wiltshire
        Emily F. 10 Cornwall St Austell
        James A. 9 ditto
        George L. 8 ditto
        Robert S. 6 Monmouth
        Kate E. 4 Cornwall Penzanze
        Florence J. 1 Cornwall St Ives

Poor woman when he died - such a lot of children to care for.

Edit: Oh dear, you have 1881 :o
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Class: RG10; Piece: 2265; Folio: 45; Page: 27; GSU roll: 834883.
          St Austell
          Transcribed as Hawkin on Ancestry

James Hawkin Head M 35 Primitive Minister
          Ann Wife 28
          Edith M Daur 6
          Winifred A Daur 5
          Elizabeth M Daur 3
          Gertrude E Daur 2
          Emily J Daur 8 months
          Mary G Job Servant
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've moved this thread from the General board to Research Qs & As.

Have you tried the local authority cemetery for his burial?

Comment

Someone else is interested in them:

RootsWeb: HAWKINS-ENG-CORNWALL-L [HAWKINS-CORNWALL] Rev James HAWKINS

Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Another link for you, someone researching the Tuffin side of the family:

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: The Tuffins (plus many others) of Dorset, England (& Elsewhere!)

" ii. Ann TUFFIN was born MAR 1843 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. She married James HAWKINS 16 MAR 1864 in Primitive Methodist Chapel, Radstock, District of Clutton, Shropshire, England, son of George HAWKINS. He was born ABT 1835 in Viney Hill, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, and died 31 JUL 1885 in 4, Albert Terrace, Fort Royal Hill, Worcester. "

You should be able to get quite far back on the Tuffin line, but you need to double-check their information!
                Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 25-03-09, 08:10.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by chieftain View Post
                  i am sorry if i have put this in the wrong place.
                  the only information i can find about my great great grandfather james hawkins the primitive methodist minister is.he was born at Viney hill Gloucestershire in 1835.he married a lady called anne tuffin who was the daughter of a reverend Robert Tuffin.it would appear he was stationed at the following churches.
                  1859 stroud
                  1861 penzance
                  1863 bath
                  1865 st day
                  1866 t ives
                  1867 seend cleeve
                  1869 st austell
                  1873 monmouth
                  1876 penzance
                  1878 st ives
                  1881 brierley hill
                  1883 worcester this was his last station george street chapel as in 1885 he died from Diabetes/Phthisis/and Haemophysis.gertrude his daughter was there when he passed away.the address he was living at was no 4 albert terrace Fort Royal Hill worcester.as i say i dont know where he is buried.i rang the local graveyards in the area but nothing.the places i have tried are mainly to do with the methodist archives in manchester and birmingham.thats all i have to go on.
                  many thanks for your help and im sorry if i have put this in the wrong place.
                  kind regards steven jacklin
                  steven if he is buried in a cof e he will be burried in uconcecrated grounds,if your a diffrent rligion but burried in there graveyard they put them in unconcecrated grounds....brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                    Another link for you, someone researching the Tuffin side of the family:

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: The Tuffins (plus many others) of Dorset, England (& Elsewhere!)

" ii. Ann TUFFIN was born MAR 1843 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. She married James HAWKINS 16 MAR 1864 in Primitive Methodist Chapel, Radstock, District of Clutton, Shropshire, England, son of George HAWKINS. He was born ABT 1835 in Viney Hill, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, and died 31 JUL 1885 in 4, Albert Terrace, Fort Royal Hill, Worcester. "

You should be able to get quite far back on the Tuffin line, but you need to double-check their information!
                    i dont know anything about the tuffins as for james son of george hawkins i had no idea what his fathers name was or anything before george

Comment

pm you back.....yes you are half cornish if grandmother was cornish lol brenda xxx

Comment

yippe

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                        pm you back.....yes you are half cornish if grandmother was cornish lol brenda xxx
                        mind you that means im half cornish and half yorkshire.as for googleing the church i have and found nothing.how do you find this info so quick i am amazed

Comment

I think it would be a good investment to buy the marriage certificate for James Hawkins and Ann Tuffin.

James Hawkins and Ann Tuffin
                          J/F/M quarter 1864
                          Clutton (Somerset - not Shropshire as on the Tuffin link)
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

I've found a potted biography of James on Google book search, which shows small snippets from books and magazines:

"james hawkins" - Google Book Search

(click on the title to see an extract from the book).

The book this excerpt comes from is called:

Bibliotheca Cornubiensis: Comprising a supplementary catalogue of authors, lists of Acts of Parliament and Civil war tracts, &c., and an index to the contents of the 3 vols
                            By George Clement Boase, William Prideaux Courtney
                            Published by Longmans, Green, Reader and Dyer, 1882

and you may be able to order it from your local library.

Comment

Originally posted by chieftain View Post
                              mind you that means im half cornish and half yorkshire.as for googleing the church i have and found nothing.how do you find this info so quick i am amazed
                              im a yorkshire lass ...i got that info from a relative in leeds..brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X