Born in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born in Germany

Please can someone give me some advice about immigration to the UK from Germany.

I have one of my Ancestors who was born in Hannover Germany in 1850 and came to the UK after that date.I have found the family on the 1881 & 1901 but not on the 1871 census and a possible marriage in 1875 so i am thinking he came to the UK prior to 1875.

So my question is, are there any records etc anywhere that gives immigration details of people coming from Germany to the UK 1850 to 1875?

My ancestor is Christian Dryer born 1850 Hannover Germany, occupation cabinet maker. His name most likely anglicised from Dreyer, but that is not conclusive.

Any help and advice on this will be much appreciated

George
    Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

The incoming passenger lists start at 1878, unfortunately.
    There are probably ones available for earlier, but I'm not sure if they'd be online. Have you tried looking on Cyndi's List?
    Tracy

Comment

I don't think that passengers from Germany would be likely to be listed on a passenger list anyway, but if he became a British citizen his papers might be available from TNA.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've been looking for my ancestors who came over from Germany (probably Hamburg) in the 1850s, but have found nothing shipping-wise whatsoever. The Naturalisation papers are interesting though.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, i think i will have to investigate the naturalisation route, but not sure if he became naturalised ,as on the 1901 census he was still listed as a German subject, but it may have been after this date.

Orangeblossom, yes i have looked on Cyndis list but not found anything conclusive.

Thanks everyone your advice and suggestions much appreciated.

George

Comment

Haydn,
            Ancestry have some passenger lists for people from Hamburg from 1850 onwards try this link Dreyer - Hamburg Passenger Lists, 1850-1934 - Ancestry.co.uk
            Margaret

Comment

Margaret

Thanks for the info, i do subscribe to Ancestry, not seen that before, must be cracking up.Will go now and look

Many thanks George

Comment

Yes, but for that Margaret, you need the worldwide subscription unfortunately.
                Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

In any case, it says "Please note that only the years 1885-1914 have been indexed so far."
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My great-grandmother was born near Baden-Baden in 1858 and I have found her birth/baptism record on the IGI. She next appears in Liverpool in 1881 and married there in 1882. She and her sister must have come to England about 1880, but I haven't tried tracing this aspect yet.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

unfortunately, german ancestors are some of the more difficult ones to research.

Comment

George,

I found these sites whilst googling, might help

Historical Research Services, Germany (Genealogy)

Hannover Research
                        this one seems to list a whole load of sites for research.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie

Thank you for the info.I will investigate further.

Your interest is much appreciated

George

Comment

George...I have PM`d you....allan
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by Haydn View Post
                              Julie

Thank you for the info.I will investigate further.

Your interest is much appreciated

George
                              no problems

we are all here to help each other
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think, at that time, the inhabitants of the kingdom Hanover had not been classified as Germans. Perhaps you spoke German but why should they receive immigrationpapers under a common king ?
                                Of course it was kings or duke something different one, others at the many other German states, therefore other papers also in Germany!

King of Hannover
                                King of Hannover and King of the UK and Irland
                                Georg III. (George III, King of the UK and Irland from 1760) 1814–1820 Grandson Georgs II.
                                Georg IV. (George IV) 1820–1830 Son Georgs III.
                                Wilhelm IV. (William IV) 1830–1837 Son Georgs III.
                                King of Hannover[4]
                                Ernst August I. 1837–1851 Sohn Georgs III.
                                Georg V. 1851–1866 Son Ernst Augusts I.

Comment

From 1714 the monarch of England was also the Elector (from 1814 King) of Hanover, but this link was severed when Victoria came to the throne in 1837. When William IV died she took the British throne but her uncle Ernst Augustus became the King in Hanover, I think because they hade some rule of male succesion. If I remember rightly there was certainly no love lost between uncle and neice, and the union of the two Kingdoms was totally severed at that time. Certainly by the period your looking at 1850-75, it would have been a foreign state, though not part of the new united state 'Germany' until 1871. Whether immigration papers survive though..that's another question.

Comment

This is right, Richard. Had the break also had effects on the population between uncle and niece? As far as known to me, British officers have been for Hanover in the kingdom also after 1850. For this units were sent to the support from this kingdom to the united kingdom England. At the lower level (below the kings) the cooperation still turned some time - on the whole I point.
                                    This only applies . to the kingdom Hanover (today Lower Saxony) all other one confessed parts of later Germany asked citizens exit permits of hers!
                                    Wolf

Comment

Working...
                                    X