Army war records problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army war records problem.

Daughters m-i-l (G) lost her father in the second world war. He was killed a few months before she was born and she knows very little about him. She would love to send for his army record and daughter has printed the forms off for her to fill in. Problem is, she is not next of kin as her mother is still alive but unfortunately has alzheimers disease. Any ideas on how G can get around this.
    Pam

Couldn't she put herself down on the form as next of kin and put in a letter explaining why her mother could not do it. I should think it is worth a try.

Linda
    LindaG

Comment

Hi Linda

I wondered if she could put a doctors letter with the forms, confirming her mothers medical condition.
      Pam

Comment

She should sign it. They don't do checks anyway, you sign the declaration, swear its the truth, and your liable. You'd only get in trouble if someone reports her for making a false declaration, but in this case, hardly likely, and given the circumstances I doubt they'd take it further even if someone did.

Comment

Hi Richard.

We did wonder whether it was worth taking a chance
          Pam

Comment

I'm intending sending for my grandmothers 1st husbands, i will put down that i am the grandaughter ;) they did'nt have any children of thier own.
            Jacky

Comment

If she's worried at all by all means send a covering letter etc, and I'm sure they'd agree to send them anyway, but, given the circumstances, if it was me I would take the chance, and just get her to sign it. Your not after them for any sinister or dishonest purpose so unlikely to be any trouble.

Comment

My OH got his father's army record whilst his father was still alive, but his dad was unable to sign the forms himself. OH signed a declaration stating the circumstances and also stating his father was still alive. The army did not charge for the record as the fee is waived when the ex-serviceman or his widow is still living, so you should be able to get the record without paying the fee of around £30.

Comment

Oooh, thats worth knowing Merry. Thankyou.
                  Pam

Comment

Working...
                  X