was this a virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was this a virus?

'something' seemed to take over our desktop wallpaper. Suddenly the picture was gone and there were rectangles of differing sizes in blue, red, green and yellow. The icons were all there still.

Did a goback and all appears to be OK now, and no adverse effects.

REally weird.
    Rose

Might be something to do with your graphics? if its not a virus.

Comment

Have you run your av? Try running malware bytes too - its a free program

Comment

OH tried running the av but it seemed to be taking for ever so he did goback instead.

Heather, what it malware bytes? Is that a download programme?
        Rose

Comment

This is a silly question, but are you sure someone didn't click "set as wallpaper" by mistake?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

LOL Kate. I have just asked OH and he seems quite sure he didn't. He thinks some kind of virus warning came on the screen and he clicked on something (!?) and the pattern appeared as wallpaper.

EDIT: and it wasn't ME because I was at work lol.
            Rose

Comment

and won't this malware prog interfere with me av?

Will look into downloading it tomorrow, have had a look at the website.
              Rose

Comment

Heather, can you put the link up please for the malware prog? The one I downloaded said 'free download' but then asked for registration, and then asked for money!

thanks
                Rose

Comment

Sorry Rosie, only just come on. It sounds like your OH had that awful thing which is a con. It says theyve found viruses and tries to get you to buy it.

Heres malwarebytes. Click on the big green button near the top

Remove Malware, Spyware and Viruses from Your Computer

Comment

hmm, that's the one we tried. Perhaps we didn't use the green button and the other ones are for paying versions?

Will get him to try again while I'm at work.
                    Rose

Comment

Try this link instead:

Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 25-03-09, 08:57.

Comment

thank you Heather, that's the one :D
                        Rose

Comment

Scan with that and let us know what shows up please

Comment

it's been running for 47 minutes and at the moment shows 34 objects infected.
                            Rose

Comment

1 hour 13 minutes and counting

*yawn*
                              Rose

Comment

It'll probably finish quicker if you don't do anything on the computer while it's running, Rose.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

here we are then. 1 hour 23.

34 infected objects

"show results"

they all seem to be trojan.fakealert and rootkit.agent (!?)

now I have to close this application (because it tells me to lol) and remove selected items.
                                  Rose

Comment

Oh that sounds dodgey, rootkit agent? If you click on it, does it tell you what it is?

Comment

Rootkit.Agent is a trojan that hijack browsers in order to produce popup advertisements from known badsites and also have rootkit functionality in order to hide itself as system driver. (that sounds like its the thing that took over your puter page!)

Trojan.FakeAlert consists of files that cause false warnings of spyware on the computer. Usually the alerts are displayed in a balloon type pop-up from an icon in the system tray.
                                      Add. Description Trojan.FakeAlert displays these false warnings when rogue security software is installed, usually by exploits, and is used to frighten the user into buying the rogue software. (That must be the thing your OH clicked on)

Good old malwarebytes It shouldnt take that long though. It takes about 16 minutes on my puter.
                                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 25-03-09, 19:20.

Comment

Yeah Rootkit.Agent is not nice, you need to scan again after reboot to make sure that infected files has been removed if not post back and I will post some progams to delete them infected files, also please try tell me the full name of file is.

Also once you have removed infection, Make sure you disable system restore reboot then you can re enable your system restore

Comment

Working...
                                        X