The Vardys are not dead or are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vardys are not dead or are they?

Despite being able to find no record of their deaths, both Vardys were born in the 1860s therefore logically would have to be otherwise they'd be in the Guinness Book of Records.

Ellen and Samuel Vardy were born 1860 and 1859 respectively according to the BMD. I have been unable to find a marriage for Ellen and she doesn't show up as dying as a spinster either.

I am really confused by interpreting the census material and was hoping one of you could interpret it for me.

They were both born in Swardlow, Derbyshire and by the census records have to be closely related, but I am unsure whether they are brother and sister or first cousins, either that or I am missing something? Were there two Samuel Vardy's father and son perhaps and Ellen's parents were Edmund and Harriet, therefore did Edmund have a brother called Samuel too, as well as there being Samuel born in 1859 which fits in with the 1871 census age and Ellen lived at one point with her grandparents.

If you can't find them, they may not have been transcribed yet. Have you looked at every quarter of every year up to about 1940ish?

I am off to look at the census material now.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This death for Samuel would tie in with a birth year of 1859.

Deaths Mar 1902
      Vardy Samuel age 43
      Shardlow 7b 310
      Elaine

Comment

Can't see them in 1861 when they would presumably have been with their parents.

Comment

Or in 1871. Have you got any census references?

Comment

erm what about this one? 1881 census

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1871 census... looks like the mother has remarried... to a BROWN.

- Ancestry.co.uk
              Julie

Comment

nope I take it back on the 1871 she is still living with her G/parents Joseph and Ellen Brown
                Julie

Comment

In 1871 Harriet and Ellen were living with Harriet's parents Joseph and Ellen Brown (I can't read the print out reference but it was from Wilne Mills, Shardlow, Spondon and yet according to notes you found for me (very kindly) Edmund and Harriet are in Notts with children Samuel 12 and Arthur 2 (seems like this is our Samuel). The ref I copied down was RG10 piece 352 folio 81 page 22.

Are there two Harriets to confuse things further? Edmund married Harriet Brown in 1863, but in 1861 Edmund is living with parents Samuel and Ellen, he is married but has no wife living with him RG9 piece 2531 foilo 50 page 10.

I think I need to double check the notes I have made when it comes to dates, as it would appear that either Ellen Vardy was illegitimate, we have more than one Samuel and Harriet. I am really confused now as to who was who.

Comment

Do you have birth certs for both Ellen & Samuel?

this would clarify whether they were siblings or not.

I will have a look for Samuel in mo, I would suspect that Ellen marries after the 1881 cens, but havent found anything yet!
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      Do you have birth certs for both Ellen & Samuel?

this would clarify whether they were siblings or not.

I will have a look for Samuel in mo, I would suspect that Ellen marries after the 1881 cens, but havent found anything yet!
                      Not yet. Have only just started with geneology and am still bumbling round in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                        Not yet. Have only just started with geneology and am still bumbling round in the dark.
                        Aha! I see, sorry, I presumed you already had the info :o

ok, can I ask where the Vardys fit in please... are they g/parents? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how did you arrive at these names.. if you see what I mean.
                        Julie

Comment

My dad was Edward TheodoreThomson, Mum still living so we will call her X (sorry Mum)
                          My dad was the son of William Charles Thomson and a Helen Brown
                          My grandmother was the daughter of Enoch Brown, who was the brother of Harriet Brown (I have birth dates for all the siblings of that generation)

As far as I can tell Harriet Brown married Edmund Varny and had a daughter called Ellen. What fascinated me was the term on the census 'cotton reeler' I didn't know they had anything to do with cotton in Derbyshire before a few weeks ago). Enoch and Harriet's parents, were Joseph Brown and Ellen Travers who married in Nov 1835.

Enoch and Harriet, had a sister Sarah, who married a Samuel Theodore Bunning who was by all accounts a generous benefactor to all sorts of good causes. Their sister, Mary, seemed to have married quite late in life to a friend of the Bunnings and Edward Mason, as Mary visited her brother in London in one census and was a house guest of the Bunnings as was EM 10 years later.

Question is how do Ellen and Samuel fit in and what was their relationship?

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                            In 1871 Harriet and Ellen were living with Harriet's parents Joseph and Ellen Brown (I can't read the print out reference but it was from Wilne Mills, Shardlow, Spondon and yet according to notes you found for me (very kindly) Edmund and Harriet are in Notts with children Samuel 12 and Arthur 2 (seems like this is our Samuel). The ref I copied down was RG10 piece 352 folio 81 page 22.

Are there two Harriets to confuse things further? Edmund married Harriet Brown in 1863, but in 1861 Edmund is living with parents Samuel and Ellen, he is married but has no wife living with him RG9 piece 2531 foilo 50 page 10.

I think I need to double check the notes I have made when it comes to dates, as it would appear that either Ellen Vardy was illegitimate, we have more than one Samuel and Harriet. I am really confused now as to who was who.

Right I have found Joseph and Ellen in 1851, Harriet is with them aged 11, so need to work out where and how...

- Ancestry.co.uk
                            Julie

Comment

do you know when Harriet married Edmund?
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                do you know when Harriet married Edmund?

aha.. 1858 derby. Edmund Vardy... yet on the census I have found it is Samuel?

the plot thickens....
                                Julie

Comment

right I now have Edmund (and later Harriett) from 1841 right thro to 1901 on the census, and possibly got his death too.
                                  Julie

Comment

I cant see an Ellen child with Harriett and Edmund, (and I think that the 1881 cens IS Harriett and Edmund, just that the name has got mangled somewhere)
                                    Julie

Comment

Unless my surmise is right and that both Samuel Snr and Edmund were both married to Harriets. Ellen lived with her grandparents when she was 10 and 20.

I think as has already been said, at sometime I will have to get hold of a birth certificate or two to be sure, when I have traced my more immediate ancestors. Thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                      X