Marriage witness again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage witness again

I've just been reading the other thread about marriage witnesses and thought I'd put one of mine on.

The marriage was between my Charles Hemmings/Emmings/Wayman (bricklayer) and Alice Galley (housemaid). The marriage was in 1893, Wandsworth.

Can anyone first give suggestions as to the name of the second witness and also hopefully find them in 1891 and/or 1901.

I have my own ideas but I cant find them in the censuses or find many people with that surname at all.

Cheers

Guybrush
    Hail Spode!

Presumably the first name is Eliza in which case the surname starts Veaz? Though to be fair it looks a lot like Veay or Veag.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Eliza Veayer?
      Pam

Comment

there is this one Guy..

- Ancestry.co.uk

but I do agree with Pam it looks like Eliza Veayer
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

but then again I dont suppose a 13yo would be a witness really.... oh well back to squ 1!
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, I thought Eliza Veayer too but it doesn't seem to be a surname. I think the Veague you found is unlikely as they're in Kent. The couple dont have any connections there afaik.

Charles said he was born in London though I think he was lying and was really from Cambridgeshire. Alice was from Portsea, Hants and family from Swanage, Dorset.
            Hail Spode!

Comment

There are 3 Eliza Veazeys on the 1891 census but only one residing in the london area

born abt 1874, daughter of a John Veazey (Chimney Cleaner/Sweep) and Mary A

they are in Islington

Don't know if this is the same household that Julie has the link for ... can't get to it as I now have my sub through the OZ site

Woops sorry, misread the surname .. yours doesn't end with a 'y' !
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 24-03-09, 15:14.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Well I suppose it's still possible as the surname I think must be spelled wrong. Islington's 8 miles from Wandsworth so we're getting closer anyway
                Hail Spode!

Comment

If its Veazey it might be recorded elsewhere as Vaisey or Vaizey
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There is a Lizzie Veazer in the 1881 census for Lewisham. Is that anywhere near? I think the surname is more likely to be Veazer than Veayer because the 4th character looks the same as what we assume is the 'z' in Eliza.

Comment

1901 has an Eliza Ann Veaser aged 51 and a widow living in Battersea / Wandsworth Common. She is a church caretaker - I wonder which church?

RG13, piece 459, folio 23, page 38
                      Jackie

Comment

eliza veayez brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post

Don't know if this is the same household that Julie has the link for ... can't get to it as I now have my sub through the OZ site
                          I have my sub through the OZ but I can log into ancestry.co/.com/.au it works in all three ???

Comment

I think you've got it Night Owl. She was probably working at St Michaels church when they got married.

I've just found Eliza in 1891

Class: RG12; Piece: 437; Folio 95; Page 11; GSU roll: 6095547.

She's living in Chatham Road in Battersea which according to Google is 1 minute away from and the next road to St Michaels church
                            Last edited by guybrush; 24-03-09, 18:12.
                            Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                            X