marriage witnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage witnesses

i have had this marriage for year's but never bothered with witnesses because there was no obvious connection.

the marriage of my 2nd great grandparents, thomas henry morton and florence conway. took place on 30 oct 1892, at christchurch, battersea, surrey.
    father's were john morton, a wine merchant, and james conway, a deceased butler.

thomas was born on the 31 dec 1869, in wandsworth. florence was born in 1870, wandsworth.

the marriage witnesses were e.w.garrott and william gaskell.
    william gaskell was a grocer's assistant and worked with thomas. thomas was boarding with him on the 1891.

i would like to know how e.w. garrott is connected to thomas or florence.
    can anyone find him on the census please?

He could be Edward William Garrott who married in Mar 1896 in Wandsworth to either Dora Fanny Mayhew or Jeanie Charlotte Neal (the other one marrying Ernest Theodore Smith). Possibly the same Edward W Garrott who died Mar 1928 Thanet age 58. Not found him on the censuses yet but I will have a try...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If that's the right E W Garrott then in 1891 he is a Grocer's Assistant (sounds likely, doesn't it?) age 25 born Middlesex Willesden, and living in Wimbledon with his parents George 60 born Wimbledon and Elizabeth 60 born Ireland. So probably a work colleague of Thomas's?
      KiteRunner

Comment

1891 has an Edward W Garrott aged 22 born Willesdon and a grocer's assistant living with his parent's in Wimbledon

RG12, piece 604, folio 113, page 52

By 1901 he is in Wandsworth and is a confectioners something that I can't make out. Wife Jeanie aged 31

RG13, piece 483, folio 143, page 49
        Jackie

Comment

wow, thankyou for that guys. must be a workmate for thomas then. well, that puts the mystery to rest.

i wonder why they were both friend's of thomas? why didn't they have a witness from each side?

Comment

I've got lots of marriage certs where the witnesses are only on one side, not sure what the reason would be in any particular case.
            KiteRunner

Comment

It could have been a "man thing". Florence's friends were probably female
              Jackie

Comment

those explanation's make sense. especially, coupled with what i know of their personalities.

Comment

If you look through Parish Records you will often see the same name(s) for one or more witnesses appearing over and over again. They usually turn out to be someone connected to the Church eg parish clerk, churchwarden etc and often known as serial witnesses. One of the reasons may be that their friends/relatives couldn't afford the time off work to attend the church.

Comment

i've got witnesses like that.

i was thinking, could someone please trace the garrott's to find george and elizabeth's marriage please?
                    she said she was born in ireland, and might have a connection.

Comment

There is a possible marriage between George Garrott and Elizabeth Sweney Sep 1852 Wandsworth. I expect Sweney is a variant of Sweeney.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

thanx for that kite.

Comment

Working...
                        X