only 6 possibles...any advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only 6 possibles...any advice ?

I have Mary Ann Oakes b 1881 dec Qtr,who married Alfred Billing b 1880..
    they married in 1898 sep qtr when Mary A was 17...West Derby district,L`pool....
    on free BMD from 1914 ,all the births have the MMN and none are MMN Oakes..from 1899 to 1914 there are only 6 Billing births in West Derby district for Billing......is there any way I can suss out which ones were for Alfred and Mary`s children(thats if they did have any)....without purchasing the 6 certs....regards....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

maybe you could find them on the 1911 census? is it out yet?

Comment

yes ,Garston is out , but there`s a possibility they may have moved to the states by 1911 census release,but its worth a try....thanks....I`m trying to establish their children because another family member (William Edward Oakes ) went to USA in 1922 and I`m trying to find out for my American cousin if his grandad(W.E.) went to stay with the Billing family....cheers...Allan;)
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

If you can't find the couple in 1911 (suggesting they have gone to America) you could try looking for the possible children. if you can find them with other parents then you could probably eliminate some from your list.

Comment

You coiuld also look for the baptisms at the Records Office. No idea how many churches there are in the West Derby district, though.

Comment

You could look for them on the passenger lists on findmypast and if they are listed it should have the names, or at least initials, and ages of the children who went with them.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, and you can search the 1920 and 1930 US censuses on ancestry.com plus they have some street directories from even later than that.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks...sorry for any delay but been on 1911 census...they are NOT in Garston on 1911 census returns....St Michaels church in Garston is our family church....Merry..excuse my ignorance,but I don`t quite understand..do you mean they may have left the children back in Garston....the oldest would only be 11 at the most ...10 Banks Road , Garston was our family home for 100 yrs....Maybe Mary is with her parents and back as Oakes-not Billing..??.in 1911..allan

Comment

Allan, I think what Merry means is that if you have a list of names of possible children, if you can find some of those children on the 1911 census and they are with other parents then they are not the children of the couple in your tree.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner....I`ve just realised....can someone do me a favour...if they are NOT on the 1901 census(they married 1898) they may have moved to USA just after they married....could someone see if they are on the 1901 census for me please ?....in Garston....thanks ,I would appreciate it....allan
                    ADDED...ha ha...the pennies dropped Merry...very clever...as there`s only 6 births ...I check for them all on the 1911 census...Why didn`t I think of that....clever girl...allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 24-03-09, 07:41.

Comment

I can't see them in 1901 Allan
                      Jeanette
                      Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

thanks Jeanette....read on...
                        I`ve just checked on freebmd and the ONLY ONE Alfred E Billing born abt 1880 and he was born in march qtr 1879 in Martley ,Worcestershire....I thought Alfred was a Liverpool man...evidently not....so...I wonder if they went back down to the Martley area of Worcs after they married ??...if thats the case i`m sorry to have mislead you all..i`ll have a look around Martley..:o..
                        so Jeanette...they may be in Martley area in 1901 NOT GARSTON...I`m useless at this research lark...I race ahead all the time instead of sitting back and working things out methodically....silly custard that I am.....allan;)
                        ADDED
                        NO Billing births in Martley district from 1898 to 1911 on freebmd....
                        according to the 1911 census there is NO Alfred Billing b 1879 Worcs on record..
                        no deaths either for Alfred Ernest or Mary Ann on freebmd up to 1911....so I can only come to the conclusion that they emigrated to the USA soon after they married....sorry to have wasted everyones time.....the only possibility is the 1901 census for Alfred Ernest Billing b 1879 anywhere in England....a tall order....thanks to everyone for their help...it is really appreciated.......allan
                        Last edited by garstonite; 24-03-09, 08:23.

Comment

But the marriage is Albert Edward and the 1879 birth is Alfred Edwin, so maybe it's just as likely he didn't have a middle name when his birth was registered?

Comment

Allan, do you actually have the Billing / Oakes marriage certificate? I'm just wondering whether you have the wrong Alfred, because I see there is a death for Alfred Edward Billing Dec 1900 Toxteth Park (same name and district as the 1898 marriage) age 35, and there is a corresponding Alfred Edward Billing birth West Derby Jun 1865. If that's him then it would explain why you can't find him in 1901 or later and why there are no children.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

smart thinking kate.

Comment

Oh, and I hate to say this, but there is a Mary A Billing widow in Toxteth Park on the 1901 whose age looks right if she is the widow of Alfred Edward who died age 35 in 1900 - Mary A Billing widow 36 Nurse (Monthly) born Lincolnshire Grantham. I wonder if there is a matching Mary Ann Oakes on the previous censuses?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

thanks.....Mary A Oakes b 1881 Garston.....so thats not her in 1901...my Mary too young...no, I don`t have the cert...Mary was only my g grandfathers younger sister ...not my Direct descendant....my g grandfathers older sisters son William Edward Oakes moved to USA in 1922....I have a cousin in Santa Fe who is the grandson of W.E.....I am trying to establish whether W.E. went to Alfred and Mary when he went to USA....I have asked my cousin to ask his mother (she`s 84) if her husband had any addresses for any Billing family members...my cousin didn`t know about the Billing connection so I am doing this research for his benefit...so I am trying to find if there were any children so I can supply him with some names...I went on freebmd looking for Alfred E Billing b abt 1880...and the only one I could find was Alfred ERNEST Billing b 18790....so I suppose the E may not be Ernest......cheers...allan;)

Comment

Allan, I don't think your Mary Ann Oakes is the one who married Alfred Edward Billing, so I don't think there is any Billing connection to your family, unless you know for sure that there is?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

thanks Kiterunner...on Lancsbmd.org in 1898 there is a marriage for
                                      Mary A Oakes to Alfred E Billing.....at ST MICHAELS CHURCH,GARSTON...as far as I know the ONLY Oakes family in Garston are my family...so...perhaps I`m wrong but when I trawled through the lancsbmd records for Oakes marriages at St Michaels I presumed this was my Mary A b 1881....am I wrong do you think ????....allan:o:o:o

Comment

I presumed this was my Mary A b 1881....am I wrong do you think ????....allan
                                        Yes I do!! :D:D I'm on Kite's side! pmsl!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X