IGI extracted baps. with no source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI extracted baps. with no source

For the second time in a week I've come across a spot-on listing of baptisms for a particular church. It's an extracted list with a C number but there's no source or film quoted. Has anyone else come across this or know the explanation? This new one is RC (St. Mary's Sunderland) and I'm having to anglicise some of the names.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

UJ

I have come across this before and think the explanation is that they were old "extractions" (that is, done many years ago) and were, ahem, some enterprising individual's extraction of records they shouldn't have had access to, by rights.

I hope that makes sense - the one I saw was actually "extracted" from a book, not from an original parish register.

It is very confusing though, as they have a C- batch number, but are not actually extracted in the way we think of extracted records.

EDIT - I should have said - the RC church has NEVER given permission for any of its records to be filmed by the LDS, so any "extracted" RC records have been done from a source other than a church record, or have been done clandestinely.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 23-03-09, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

EDIT - I should have said - the RC church has NEVER given permission for any of its records to be filmed by the LDS, so any "extracted" RC records have been done from a source other than a church record, or have been done clandestinely.
      I'm sure we've had this discussion before - some RC records have certainly been filmed by the LDS. I've viewed an LDS microfilm of Irish RC baptism records myself.

Comment

Mary

Sorry, I meant RC records in England!

However, UJ, have you tracked the "extract" back to its source? Durh, yes, no source, so this has been extracted on the QT, probably many decades ago.

OC

Comment

Uncle John, have you looked at the Family History Library Catalogue for Sunderland?

Topic details ('England, Durham, Sunderland - Church records')

The entry "Church records, 1809-1988 Catholic Church. St. Mary's, Bridge Street (Sunderland, Durham)" appears to have been taken from "Microfilm copy of original at the Tyne & Wear Archives Service, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England"
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Now that's interesting, Gillian. Obviously a way round the non-release of registers to the LDS by the RC church. Now to find some kind soul in Newcastle who understands dog-Latin.

Comment

Uncle John,

If you want to post your dog-Latin phrases I will have a go at them.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the offer Peter, but it's simply Latinised first names - Jacobus, Gulielmus and so on.

Comment

And now I've found an extracted marriage (1827, Kendal) with an M number and no details at all of where the information came from. Batch M396495 for anyone that's interested.

Comment

There are a few RC records around on IGI as I have found a few extracted from the parish at Bembridge in Dorset going back to about 1780. But I would agree that most are not on the IGI. The same with Ireland, just about three of my few hundred Irish ancestors are on the IGI but Ireland is well known for only having about 25% of records on IGI and most of those will be protestant records.

Janet

Comment

According to Hugh Wallis, there are no extracted marriage records for Kendal on the IGI.

(Hugh Wallis site is not uptodate, though).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        Thanks for the offer Peter, but it's simply Latinised first names - Jacobus, Gulielmus and so on.
                        I thought we were going to put a name-page on the Wiki for those kind of things? (Will go and look after posting.)

For instance,
                        Jacobus = Jacob/James
                        Gulielmus = William

But I guess you knew those already.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found it:

Latin Names and Genealogical Terms - Family Tree Forum

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            Thanks for that link Christine. I have been struggling sometimes to translate the Latin names. Not any more. Thanks again

Comment

Uncle John can you pleeeeeeease................. give me the batch number for St Mary's. My mum and her siblings belonged to that parish and went to St Mary's School.

If you sit in the church you can hear the trains rumbling underneath as they come into the City Station.

My uncle's name was on the War Memorial plaque just inside the door but it was taken away many years ago and I don't know what happened to it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi JBee

Bingo. C012344, and an earlier one C064581.

A lot of my info. about St. Mary's PRs came from you! And Meridian Line's dad.

Comment

Don't think its complete UJ

Couldn't find a birth c1830's who I know was in the Parish Records at Gateshead.

However found an extra sibling of grandmother who looking on free BDM died aged 1 - hadn't got him even though he was named after his grandfather.

Hoping to confirm where the link is with Mum's 2nd cousins too.

You haven't come across any batch numbers for St Patricks have you?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

No, C012344 isn't complete. Some of mine are there and others are missing.

Comment

Working...
                                    X