No announcement yet.

How many surnames are you researching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many surnames are you researching?

To date I am researching 16!
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Mainly three KERSLAKE MERRY & HALMAN.

I am blocking out all others, or trying to

Comment

A lot, but not all at the same time!

Comment

Have just checked my Family Tree Maker file and I have 368 different surnames - some of which will relate to my main ancestral lines, others will just be minor twigs, for example someone marrying into the family.
        Elaine

Comment

Lots on my tree, but probably a similar number 16-20, direct lines which are of greatest interest to me.

Comment

I've been doing 4 extended family studies over the last 20+ years.

I'm also researching other connected familes of various surnames, but tend to have blitzes on each of these from time to time - especially if someone makes contact.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There are 13 or 14 I can count on my fingers off the top of my head, mainly on my maternal side, but there are lots more that have sprung to mind since I started replying. And of course there are some "favourites";)
              Clare

Comment

Probably 16-20 main names, then a few side lines .. but that's only my side of the family.....I've only scratched the surface on hubby's side so I'll probably end up with double that number.

Jean
                Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Have just checked my Family Tree Maker file and I have 368 different surnames - some of which will relate to my main ancestral lines, others will just be minor twigs, for example someone marrying into the family.

I cant find that on my FTM :(

but I drift and dabble... depends on how I am feeling on the day.

so it could be any surname out of my whole tree and the next day another name from another branch.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    I cant find that on my FTM :(
                    TOOLS / FAMILY FILE STATISTICS / Total number of different surnames (Calculate)
                    Elaine

Comment

My FTM tree says I have 1384 different surnames!!!!! Well I do have over 12,000 people in my tree, lots of twigs and side branches! It is both mine and my OH's tree combined.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        TOOLS / FAMILY FILE STATISTICS / Total number of different surnames (Calculate)
                        Thanks Elaine... I did look there, but didnt see the calculate bit :o

anyway I have 481 surnames
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

About 33 to 35 mainline names and a few others for interest.

Janet

Comment

Mainly 8 names at the moment that I am keenly researching as I have lots of brick walls.
                            I am not too interested in constructing a massive tree but like working on my direct line and finding out as much as I can about my ancestors.
                            Kathleen

Comment

My FTM count between both me and the OH is 788 surnames amongst the 3521 folks in the trees so far after about 25 years hard toil. No wonder my family thinks I'm daft LOL

Comment

158 surnames in my tree but I have about 10 I flip between really. I'm currently going sideways and forward from my direct line and quickly get bored with looking up one surname for several generations so I bounce around a bit.
                                Hail Spode!

Comment

im researching pretty much all names at the mo. i'll get stuck on one, and google another or use a new site that has info. i do them all at once, unless i get stuck or bored. when your not looking for info you usually find it!!

im also researching pre 1500's, because me scots were descended from baron's in the early 1700's, and they themselves were descended from 14th century royalty.

Comment

Nothing exotic about the surnames I am looking through, Smith, Wilson and Brown but several others that are a tad out of the ordinary. Can't go any further until the certificates I have ordered come to me and then who knows were I will go. My Mum always made a big thing of my maiden name being spelt without a P, I now find that the P has been in and out of birth certificates like you would not believe. She always assumed I was Scottish on my fathers side, one of my GGFGM's came from Scotland but at this moment I don't know from where.

Comment

I don't really look at it as researching surnames but as researching people or families. A lot of the surnames on my direct lines are very common ones such as Brown, Morgan, Williams etc so that probably explains why I look at it that way!
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        I don't really look at it as researching surnames but as researching people or families.
                                        Good point Kite!

I probably only have three or four surnames where I'm interested whatever the info is, and those are inevitably rare names where the chances of them being connected to me are very high.

I definitely don't perk up everything someone says they have a Smith on their tree despite that being one of my major surnames!

Comment

Working...
                                        X