I have my first ancestor born in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my first ancestor born in Ireland

I am doing so many surnames it was bound to happen.

This ancestor a 3 or 4x Great Grandfather was born 1837 in Dublin, Ireland.

Am I right in thinking that unless I go there I am never going to finding his birth on the net?

Many Thanks
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Might be worth a look here
    FamilySearch Record Search pilot

But I think there may be some useful ideas on the Wiki, if you look there?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

At least you've got somewhere in Ireland to begin your search - all mine say for several lines is born Ireland - which is no blooming help at all especially as they were pre 1850's.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

He would have been born before the start of civil registration in Ireland, so his birth won't be on the Irish GRO indexes, but try on here to see if his baptism is on:
        Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I have just tried the Irish Family History Foundation and no baptism there for him.
          Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Try subscribing to the rootsweb mailing list for Dublin; someone may be able to help there.
            Joy

Comment

JBee,

I know how you feel. An additional problem is that I don't know which Irish spelling of the surname to use.

Hugo

Comment

Just tagging this for myself to have a look at later :D
                Rose

Comment

If you have not found your ancestor on the Irish Foundation Site, and I have to say that none of my Irish ancestors are on that site, what this means is that at present you will need to take a trip to Dublin either Library for Catholic records or National Archives for Protestant records. Very few Irish records are on the IGI only about 25%, and few of those will be pre 1864 which was the date of start of official Catholic Records, slightly earlier for Protestant records but always worth a try just in case! Unfortunately the Irish Foundation Site does not have all the Irish Parish Records, in fact it really has quite a small proportion of all records. If only...........

I presume you have tried the 1911 Dublin Census which is free to see if any other family there?

Hugo

Take into account all spellings ie for O'Neill I have found all the following for the same family:

Neil/Neille/Neale/O'Neil/O'Neill/Neall/Neal

In the main if you have an "O" name then always consider Sullivan/Neill/ etc as even finding these names in the English census can cause much grief.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 25-03-09, 10:18.

Comment

Working...
                  X