Help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

I'm off to Kew next month to try to find details of the Assizes case and subsequent sentance of my GG Grandfather Western Curcuit 1904. His sentances was respited and family hearsay is that he served 10 years instead of being executed.
    But I'm faced with a quite a list of documents and I don't know which ones I will need to look at. I also don't know how much searching I'll need to do on each of the books. Any advise please...

These are all within the date range

Western Circuit
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Crown Minute Books
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Civil Minute Books
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Gaol Books
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Miscellaneous Books
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Indictment Files
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Criminal Depositions and Case Papers
    Assizes: Western Circuit: Pleadings

I don't think I have enough time to look at them all, so if you could put them in some sort of order of importance it would be a great help.

Thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Hi Jules

This is the link to the relelvant guide:

Detecting your browser settings

What it suggests is the Crown Minute Book, Gaol Book or Agenda Book are the best place to start. Knowing what Kew is like, you may need to pay more than one visit if you can, but that should start you off.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thank you
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

You can order 3 documents at a time. I managed to look at all the papers relevant to an 1862 trial so it is possible if you know what you are looking for.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X