A Coombs challenge!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Coombs challenge!!

If anyone of you 'bloodhounds' have a few minutes I'm having trouble finding:

Charles Coombs (b c1833) and Caroline Coombs (b c1840) both in Walworth Surrey. They spent there whole life around London.

Can't find any reference to them before 1861. I've used my Ancestry and some freebie sources but nothing. OK it is probably me

They had my heroine Caroline Harriet Coombs/Lacey/French in c1855. I've traced their other children including two who were "thermometer makers". Any help gratefully received. Ta

Can we have the 1861 reference to work from please?

Are they siblings - or husband and wife?
    Elaine

Comment

Think I may have found them in 1871 census
      ref RG10; Piece: 337; Folio: 32; Page: 60

- Ancestry.co.uk

Can you confirm that is the right ones.
      Elaine

Comment

Presuming I am on the right track, I wonder if this could be Charles in 1851
        HO107; Piece: 1567; Folio: 466; Page: 50
        - Ancestry.co.uk

Says he is born in Camberwell, but is living in Walworth St Peter parish.

Do you have the marriage certificate for Charles & Caroline and this would give their father's name and occupation which would help find them in the earlier census.
        Elaine

Comment

Likely marriage:
          Marriages Dec 1855 (>99%)
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COOMBS Charles E. London 1c 1
          PALMER Caroline Elizabeth E London 1c 1

Likely birth for daughter:
          Births Jun 1856 (>99%)
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coombs Caroline Harriet E. London 1c 23
          Bridget

Comment

Elaine sorry got a call from work but back to serious stuff now. yes your 1871 is correct. Ahhhh tel. back in a mo

Comment

Have you found them in 1861 - they seem to be hiding!
              Elaine

Comment

1861 ?

- Ancestry.co.uk
                Bridget

Comment

OK

1861 sorry I can't find the numbers - codes - O so much to learn - but Caroline is listed as Caroline M Coombs - should be H.

I don't have a marriage cert for Charles and Caroline but I do have family fotos, a few scribbled notes from the time, and Caroline H's mother living with her after Charles dies.

the 1851 looks great (yup needs confirmation but ) but I would like to find the 1941.

But Elaine and Bridget you've got me thru' that brick wall. After a work call, a cuppa, I'll be back on the case Many thanks

Comment

I wonder if this is the 1841
                    - Ancestry.co.uk

Charles born c1835 with parents James and Frances.

You really do need to get Charles and Caroline´s marriage certificate to be sure. Do you know Caroline´s maiden name?
                    Elaine

Comment

HI

Theres a Charls Coomes bn 1833 living in Bermondsey with father Henry and Mother Charlotte in the 1841

Could that be him?
                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
                        I don´t think that is the same family.
                        I think it is the same as this family in 1871
                        - Ancestry.co.uk
                        Elaine

Comment

Sorry I think the 1861 was a red herring.

Sadly I don't think the Camberwell Coombs/Coombe are my Coombs so as you say Elaine I need as cert. I'm on a train for 6 hours tomorrow so I'll slowly go though and cross check your suggestions against what I have.

I have marriage certs for Caroline H (b 1855/6) but sadly they have suffered a bit. Presumably her birth cert might be a good link to start.

Muchas gracias amigas

Comment

Working...
                          X