NSW Assisted Passenger List help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW Assisted Passenger List help please

I've just found Samuel Butcher b 1830/31 Lambeth arriving NSW 1856 with his wife Harriett. He claims to have a brother Frederick in the colony already but I can't read where -(at least I think it's a town name) it might need an Aussie member to interpret:D!

And I can't find Frederick's emigration - it may be just because I don't have the right membership to view all the lists, perhaps someone could have look please He was born abt 1835 Lambeth, Surrey. He appears on the 1851 census with his parents James and Betsey, so must have left between 1851 and 1855.

Thanks
    Sue

There's this one...
    Name: Frederick Butcher
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
    Port of Departure: London
    Port of Arrival: Sydney, New South Wales
    Voyage Arrival Date: 2 Jan 1855
    Vessel Name: Wacousta
    Origin Location: British

He's on the Unassisted list.
    Tracy

Comment

Ooh thankyou Tracy! It does look like him - and I think that also answers the other question - the word I can't read could well be Wacousta!

I can't get into the Unassisted List on my membership - your help is much appreciated!
      Sue

Comment

Can you view images for them on the Assisted list? I can't.
        Tracy

Comment

Yes - I can see the Assisted but not the Unassisted!

I have a Premium UK membership - if that makes any difference!
          Sue

Comment

I have the UK Heritage one from the Aus site. You'd think they'd let me, having that one lol
            Tracy

Comment

I expect we've got a full set between us:D
              Sue

Comment

I can't view any passenger list images :o

Just emailing them to find out why lol
                Tracy

Comment

HI

The Frederick Butcher listed in Tracy find was listed on the image as an Ordinary Seaman so this man was a crew member.

Does it still sound like it might be him?
                  WendyP

Comment

Thanks for looking Wendy!

In 1851 Frederick aged 16 was a "brewer" (his father was a Retailer of Beer!) so in theory he could have gone to sea ....

The word that I couldn't read on the Assisted Passengers list for his brother's emigration really could be Wacoasta ... could he have worked his passage?
                    Sue

Comment

HI Sue

Have you checked out the Sands Directories for Sydney and NSW 1861 - 1933?

Did Samuel and Harriet stay in NSW till they passing away?
                      WendyP

Comment

These are the first emigrants I've come across - it's all new to me:D. What are the Sands Directories?

Neither of these are direct ancestors - they the brothers of my 2x gt grandfather and I only have the info as supplied already.
                        Sue

Comment

Viewing the passenger lists is a bit hit and miss.

I found one of my OHs rellies and went to look for the father on the list (both on same ship, date etc) so my FTM would record the arrival on all the family. I couldn't find the father at all. I've searched for other people and can get the basic transcript but can't see the image.

I emailed ancestry about 2 weeks ago about this and am still waiting on a reply.
                          Kit

Comment

Do you know if Frederick married in NSW - if he died here (bef 1958) or in Queensland before 1929, you should be able to find him listed in the Index (NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages) and if you know his parents names, it should be reasonably easy. Same for Harriet and Samuel.

you should also be able to find any children born to them before 1908 and those who died before 1978. A NSW death certificate includes the questions "how long in colony" sometimes says more than just "20 years" or whatever (cost $AU15 from one of the transcription agents).

I cannot see that Frederick Butcher continued to be a sailor (Welcome - Family Tree Forum), so if Samuel and Harriet were claiming him as a relative in the colony, it is more likely to be a place or street than a ship. I don't have access to ancestry, but you could look at the Sands Directories there (like a phone book before phones, lists everyone by street address) and see if you can find a matching suburb - could be Woolhara, I think it was around in the 1850s as a suburb.

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi

this link WACOUSTA will allow you to see a scan of the original image of the crew list aboard the Wacousta which matches what both Tracy and I saw on Ancestry if you scroll down the page to the word SCAN and clik on it.
                              WendyP

Comment

Here's the entry for Samuel on the Assisted Passenger List. His is the top one - I still think it looks like Wacousta!

I can't access the Sands Directories with my membership :( and there are two possible marriages for Frederick between 1855 and 1870 but as I have no idea who he might have married or if he even stayed in NSW it's not a lot of help:D

There are no deaths recorded for either Samuel or Frederick so I'm guessing that they didn't stay in NSW.

Thanks for looking everyone
                                Sue

Comment

Had a reply from them this morning (11 hour turn around!!) and this is what they said:
                                  You should have full access to these documents. The problem has been reported to our developers and hopefully will be corrected shortly.
                                  Tracy

Comment

Thar's good news! I wonder how long it'll take for them to put right!!
                                    Sue

Comment

Who knows?! lol

I was pleasantly surprised by the response time though. I wasn't expecting anything till tomorrow.
                                      Tracy

Comment

That "per Wacousta" on the passenger list means that he went out on a ship called Wacousta.

Comment

Working...
                                        X