Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stafford George Clarkson or is it George Stafford Clarkson

Hi everyone
    I have documentation that shows my GGFs name at Marriage and Death was Stafford George Clarkson. He also appears in the 1901 & 1911 Census. However I cannot find him being born c1872 in Brighton.
    I do however have a George Stafford Clarkson born 1872 in Islington who later shows his place of birth as Brighton but who 'disappears' after the 1891 Census.
    I am beginning to believe that he just switched his christian names around.
    Any suggestions of how to prove this?
    Thanks
    Allan

Hi,

I can't offer a suggestion of 'how to prove it' , however, as there isn't a birth record for a Stafford George, but is a record for a George Staffod - I'd be inclined to think they are the same person. He may have been born in Islington and the family moved to Brighton soon after his birth, possibly, as he was brought up in Brighton he believed Brighton was where he was born.

Comment

It was quite common to switch Christian names round like that. If you get the two birth and marriage certs, and the fathers' names and occupations match, then you can be pretty sure you have the right person, bearing in mind that the name's an unusual one.

Comment

Hi
        George Stafford was baptised in Brighton so could indeed have moved there at a very early age.
        I have ordered Stafford's marriage certificate in the hope that his Father's name is entered.
        Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X