Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could i have a 1901 and possibly 1881 lookup please

Should be resident in Gainsborough.

John William OUGHTON abt 1878, probably born Gainsborough. His wife is (hopefully) called Ellen.

The only things i know about them are they married in 1899 and Ellen died in 1908 aged 34. Anything pre 1901 for the parents or early days of John and Ellen appreciated.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

1901 - any good ??
    RG13; Piece: 3122; Folio: 36; Page: 17.

John Oughton 24 born Corringham (anywhere near Gainsborough ??) - occ boiler maker
    Ellen Oughton 27 born Misson Yorkshire
    Amy Oughton 4 months born Ordsall Nottingham

address: 2 High Street, Ordsall, East Retford
    Elaine

Comment

The John Oughton that I have found seems to be listed on the 1891 census as John H Oughton, grandson of Mary Merryweather.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        1901 - any good ??
        RG13; Piece: 3122; Folio: 36; Page: 17.

John Oughton 24 born Corringham (anywhere near Gainsborough ??) - occ boiler maker
        Ellen Oughton 27 born Misson Yorkshire
        Amy Oughton 4 months born Ordsall Nottingham

address: 2 High Street, Ordsall, East Retford
        Thanks Elaine, Corringham is about 3 miles away from Gainsborough.

This is the only line of my adoptive family that registered their kids and mum (born an Oughton) doesn't know a thing about them. I have a marriage cert for one of their sons and father is given as John W. occ boilermaker so that seems to fit together.

Marriages Sep 1899 (>99%)
        ----------------------------

OLDFIELD Ellen Gainsbro' 7a 1555
        OUGHTON John William Gainsbro' 7a 1555
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-03-09, 20:22.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Do you want to work back on the Oughton/Houghton line.
          As I said the 1891 shows a William Oughton with grandmother Mary Merryweather. There is also a daughter Fanny Merryweather listed as well as some other grandchildren with the surname Head.

If you go back to the 1881 there seems to be a Fanny Head (husband Amos) with son John born 1887

Fanny´s marriage to Amos Head appears to be in 1880 - with Fanny´s maiden name as Houghton - which means John was probably John Houghton at birth.

Marriages Dec 1880
          Almond Ann
          Fenwick James Leaper
          >>>Head Amos
          >>>Houghton Frances
          Goole 9c 1017
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            The John Oughton that I have found seems to be listed on the 1891 census as John H Oughton, grandson of Mary Merryweather.
            If the Merryweather line is correct in 1891 then Emma Oughton also shows with some young Head children. The 1901 also shows Emma with her mother Fanny Head a widow born Corringham with 6 Head children. Does this give the lead to John's parents?

Comment

I was hoping this one would jump back nicely and reveal a family.

I'm guessing this is the birth for John
              Births Sep 1877 (>99%)
              ---------------------------------

OUGHTON John William Gainsbro' 7a 738

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

That does seem to fit Glen - presumably mother would turn out to be Fanny Head, maiden name Houghton/Oughton.
                Elaine

Comment

Mum reckons her dad was one of several children but i reckon there were only three (seeing as Ellen died 1908 the mmn is a problem but anyway).

Amy, Retford 1901
                  Charles T, Retford 1903
                  George W, Gainsborough 1905 (i have his marriage cert)

The only other births in the area at the time are

Emma 1901 Gainsborough
                  Edith Mary 1902 Gainsborough

It seems to suggest there are two families having kids at about the same time, (probably related?) as the Gansiborough abd Retford districts are alongside each other but different counties.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

have you found the children of john william and ellen on the 1911? or is it not out yet? an idea to keep in mind?

Comment

HI

Just to say that i have posted a PM to Glen regarding info on the 1911 just incase there are any close rellies still alive. I dont want to casue any conflict. I'm sure if Glen sees fit he will then decide if the info can be posted or not.

:o
                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        have you found the children of john william and ellen on the 1911? or is it not out yet? an idea to keep in mind?
                        I think they are split across a couple of different households, i haven't bothered with the 1911 for my birth tree as yet (too expensive) and this is my first real attempt at anything on the adoptive tree that can get back before 1901.

The bits Wendy has sent via pm look interesting. Mum has mentioned a couple of the names and there is a bit of a tale about children being taken in by extended family, i'll have to throw a few names around when i speak to her next, hopefully jog her memory and see what she says.

Thanks for the pm Wendy, it certainly looks interesting.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                        X