William Rex abt 1835 Thornton Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Rex abt 1835 Thornton Yorkshire

I would be grateful if some kind person could help me with this puzzle.
    William Rex born abt 1835 Thornton Yorkshire married Elizabeth Robinson born abt 1835 Ebberston Yorkshire. They married in Dec 1854 ref: Vol 9d page 768 Registered in Pickering Yorkshire.

I have them on the 1871 census and onward to demise but cannot find them on the 1861 census.

Another puzzle: According to the 1871 census, the first child Mark Robinson Rex was born in 1862 Thornton (I found his actual date of birth which was Sep 1861 Vol 9d page 383.)

It seems a long time from the date of the marriage in 1854 to the birth of the first child in 1861, the couple had several children after this date quite close together.

Can anyone show me how to find out if there were any children born to this couple prior to the birth of Mark and also find them on the 1861 census.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards Genious

Possible for 1861 census
    RG9; Piece: 3644; Folio: 38; Page: 2;
    transcribed as William Rea born c1835 Thornton
    Elaine

Comment

The IGI has an extracted entry (i.e. taken from the parish register) for the baptism of Rachel Ann Rex, 24 Sep 1858, Ellerburne, Yorkshire, parents William Rex and Elizabeth Robinson. So I would guess that the other children listed at Ellerburne with parents William Rex and Elizabeth (no maiden name given for these) probably belong to the same family too: Thomas 22 May 1855 and Jane 29 Nov 1857.
      There is also a Fredrick Rex listed as baptised 22 Jul 1867 Ebberston, Yorkshire, parents Wm Rex and Eliz.

If you want to do a search like that for children of parents, go onto FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
      and when you do a search, just put in the father's name and surname plus the mother's first name - don't put in her surname in case it isn't shown on the entries.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Redacted
        Last edited by Penelope; 21-03-09, 19:44.

Comment

Penelope, I already found the missing births on the IGI, if you look at my post above.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thomas Rex

May I say a big thank you to all who have helped me with this puzzle, especially the person who found the Rea (Rex) family in Farmanby in 1861.

This census is the correct one and shows children :
            Thomas son age 5 born abt 1856 Farnamby
            Jane dau age 4 born abt 1857 Farmanby
            William son age 1 born abt 1860 Farmanby.

None of the above children show on the following 1871 census.

The 1871 census shows additional children as follows:
            Mark son age 9 born abt 1862 Thornton
            George son age 8 born abt 1863 Thornton
            Richard son age 7 born abt 1864 Thornton
            Fredercick son age 3 born abt 1868 Ebberston
            Harry son age 1 born abt 1870 Ebberston.

Could it be that the first three children shown on the 1861 census all died, as I cannot find them anywhere on any of the future census?

Regards and thanks
            Genious

Comment

I can't see any Rex deaths registered 1861-1871 on Freebmd.

The elder boy may have been apprenticed and the girl in domestic service, so their details would have been recorded on the enumerator's sheet by their employer who may not have known or been concerned about accuracy in spelling their names or their exact ages.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

RG10; Piece: 4843; Folio: 19; Page: 1

has Jane Rex b 1857 Thornton. It's quite possible Jane thought she was born in Thornton since that is where her younger siblings were born. She's working as a housemaid.

Comment

William and Thomas are with their grandparents Mark & Jane Rex in Farnamby though they say they were born in Thornton:

RG10; Piece: 4843; Folio: 44; Page: 14

Comment

Brilliant bit of deduction Little Nell. The children certainly seemed to have been shuffled about a bit don't they. Thanks again to all who have helped solve this mystery. Regards Genious

Comment

You will find children are often out working or farmed off with grandparents, aunts/uncles etc. I've often linked up generations that way.

Comment

Which is why broadening out your tree to include siblings and their families is a good idea. To take a present-day example (me), as a very young child I was "farmed out" for about a year to my aunt's parents (parents of my father's brother's wife), who were not my blood relatives at all.
                        Last edited by Uncle John; 22-03-09, 20:31.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X