Ideas please on this name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas please on this name

OH has just got his Mum's Birth Cert which he's been hunting for years! He's over the moon because it's been quite a mystery. It now transpires she was given a third Christian name which none of the family knew about! So of course had hunted fruitlessly for years.

Two or three years before she died she suddenly revealed that she (insisted!) she was the daughter of an eminent businessman/MP. She stated that her name in the family Bible was wrong and she changed it herself! Her mother was a Housekeeper in a large house in London. Mum spoke of meeting Lloyd George and the like when she was small, but at age of 6 or 7 her mother became very ill and returned to family in Wales where she died.

OH and his sister more recently, on doing some research, realised that Mother had been born illegitimately. Apart from what Mother had said, there was, and still is, no indication who the father was, except this new evidence of a third Christian name.

I've suggested that this 3rd name could be a clue, a way of pointing the finger so-to-speak...... or that the old lady had been mistaken about the identity of her father, and that this name indicates someone else completely.

We've looked without much success for likely people with the name.

Can someone offer any other ideas?

The third surname is Douch....... there's no trace of it in OH's family background.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

I have just googled it and came up with Douch and Partners, a well established very old business, of Forest Row, East Sussex. Perhaps your late MiL has some connection with this firm.

Comment

You might try things like the London Gazette, to see what turns up there?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you both - that's a start.

I was silly in not putting her date of Birth: 13.5.1911 in Lambeth.
        Dorothy G

Comment

Have you found her mother on the 1911 census?

Comment

Yes Mary, OH has found grandmother on 1911. His mother however was not on there because she was born just after the Census was taken.
            Dorothy G

Comment

Yes, I realised that, I just wondered if there was anyone called Douch living nearby.

Comment

Ah! Well that's a thought!!

I must admit my thinking was just possibly he was also in the house as a servant or possibly a tradesman.

As g'mother was a spinster of 43 when she had the child I have to concede that I thought it a teensy bit unlikely she'd have had an affair/liaison with a businessman/MP, who, in all honesty would more probably have picked a younger woman? (OH thinks I'm being nasty! ) - but I'm sure you know what I'm saying ;)
                Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 21-03-09, 16:59.
                Dorothy G

Comment

The surname turns up in the London Gazette quite a bit.

Might be worth trying the Times Digital Archive as well?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, I looked briefly on the London Gazette, but as I'm also cooking dinner, didn't immediately see quite where to search. Thank you for your help. I'll have another go at that and the Times later...... except I don't really know what I'm looking for! So I'll just have a hunt around on there and see if there's anything likely.
                    Dorothy G

Comment

Christine - certainly a lot of douch on the Gazette - but on the Times Digital Archive it says it has to be accessed from a Library - or is there another way please?
                      Dorothy G

Comment

Dorothy, what's her middle Christian name? Could it be a female version of her father's first name?

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
                          but on the Times Digital Archive it says it has to be accessed from a Library - or is there another way please?
                          The "normal" way is either from a PC at the library or remotely using your library card if your library offers that option.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            Dorothy, what's her middle Christian name? Could it be a female version of her father's first name?
                            No, Merry, her other two Christian names are Mary Elizabeth. (her mother was Anne Elizabeth), so good thinking, but that's not going work

UJ - Thanks for that info. I'll have to check the local library I've got a card for.
                            Dorothy G

Comment

have you researched the background of the family that your grandma in law was with in the 1911?

Comment

Working...
                              X