Foreign marriages of british/dual nationality subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign marriages of british/dual nationality subjects

Just a general question, my brother in law (born in the UK) was married in Israel around 2000 and I have looked to see whether there was a record at all under ancestry. There wasn't. I was wondering whether marriages of people born in the UK but marry elsewhere in the world, get registered eventually back home. He brought his family back to the UK in around 2003.

Lorraine, Ancestry hasn't got the GRO overseas indexes but findmypast has. Not sure whether they have them as recent as 2000, but I'll check.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, if you go onto Findmypast and click on the births, marriages & deaths tab and scroll down to marriages you will see they have overseas marriages in two sections - pre-1995 and then 1995-2005 so he will be in that one if they registered it with the British authorities.

Sorry, just read the rest of your post - I don't think they would register it when they got back to Britain, rather they would register it with the British consulate in the country where they got married.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi
        From my own experience, when I married a foreign national in his country, I submitted the documentation in the British Embassy there. The original document had to be translated at a recognised translation agency.

I now have a verified certificate from Southport. I believe I could have sent certificates, on my return to this country.

Just to make you aware, although I do not think you can access recent certificates, copies of these certificates cost more. I think in 2003, each additional copy ordered was £11.

My marriage appears in the GRO overseas results on Find my Past.
        Last edited by bubblebelle; 23-03-09, 20:25. Reason: Addition
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Working...
        X