Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some inspiration folks, Heckington, Lincs

I figure the easiest way to show the names etc is direct from my ftm screen

The years of birth/death for the children all come from freereg records, as yet i haven't been able to locate marriages for the surviving children. The trail seems to go cold in the Heckington area until the 1860's. I'm trying to fill the gap between the late 1700's and the 1860's.

There is a baptism of Blackbourn Goulson 31st May 1863, parents Thomas and Mary.

Possible marriage of the parents 16 May 1843, (Thomas Goulson and Mary Vear, father of the groom is called John Goulson, a deceased carpenter). It seems that Blackbourn was not registered in the bmd index but i'm a little wary about the gap between his 1863 baptism and the 1843 marriage.

It just seems that the surname vanished from Heckington for a long period then re-appears with the baptism, am i jumping to conclusions? It isn't the most common surname and it seems odd to find it in what is a relatively small place. The only real problem is that the male lines didn't seem to survive in the family screen from FTM, unless there are missing children of course.

As an afterthought does Blackbourn appear in the census anywhere?
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 08-08-09, 11:25.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Glen

Are you having a pathetic five minutes, or what, my love?

All parents Joshua Page Goulson and Alice, Hecklington

Esther bap 22 April 1788
    Page Benjamin bap 12 Aug 1786 bur 21 Jan 1787
    Sarah bap 5 Jun 1791
    Frances Esther bap 1 Sep 1782
    Frances Esther bap 25 April 1784

OC

Comment

One poss reason is that the IGI records are being rotated and the years are missing at the moment.

OC

Comment

I have the dates OC.

It's the gap between from the 1780's to the 1860's i'm trying to look into and if Blackbourn Goulson bapt May 1863 is related. If he is it suggests i have at least one missing male child born to Joshua and Alice.

There is a discrepancy i just discovered though in the freereg and bmd records, freebmd has 9 names listed for the page, six grooms and three brides i checked the images and Eyre is correct and the two scans under the Goulson/Gullson variants also match up.

Marriages Jun 1843 (>99%)
        -------------------------------

BUTCHER Frances Sleaford 14 991
        DAY William Sleaford 14 991
        Eyre Mary Sleaford 14 991
        Feary Edward Sleaford 14 991
        GOULSON Thomas Sleaford 14 991
        GULLSON Thomas Sleaford 14 991

MUCKSLEY George Sleaford 14 991
        MUXLOW George Sleaford 14 991
        REYNOLDS Mary Sleaford 14 991

Freereg shows two marriages, both with the same dates, bride is noted as Mary Vear, witnesses and fathers etc all match, it is just the discrepancy with the grooms surname.

16 May 1843 GOULSON Thomas, Heckington
        16 May 1843 GULLSON Thomas, Heckington

*edit*

Probable birth registration of Blackbourn

Births Jun 1856 (>99%)
        ----------------------------

Gulson Blackbourn Sleaford 7a 413
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-03-09, 15:57.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Looking at the bmd and some freereg entries it seems there is a chance that the surname could be spelt under either the Goulson or Gullson variants (it is the first time i have come across so many instances of the Gullson version).

Can anyone find anything in the '51 or '61 in Heckington, Lincs for the two surnames please? I might be able to piece together some potential family groups that loosely fit with the bmd and freereg results and lead me somewhere.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen

There doesn't seem to be anything in Heckington but there's a Page Goulson b abt 1833Marston Lincs showing on both '51 and '61 census
            1851 - With uncle, Valentine Goulson and aunt Mary in St Swithin Lincoln
            1861 - He's back in Marston but married to Mary with a daughter Mary Frances aged 5. It looks as tho' its Mary's 2nd marriage as there's another daughter aged 13 named Sarah Ann Watson.

There are other Goulsons in and around Marston in both census - let me know if you want more info but off to cook dinner now

BTW - my in laws were stationed in Heckington during the war and we took them on a trip down memory lane a few years ago and somewhere I have photos of the village - should you be interested!
            Sue

Comment

Just had another look at 1851 census and there is a Page Goulson in Marston b1802 Ropsley (mistransribed as Rege) it says married but no wife listed, 4 children Elizabth 22, Joseph 20, Margaret 16,John 14 and Job 10.
              Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

Hundreds of Goulsons around the Marston area, well dozens anyway, and they all seemed to marry a girl called Mary

The two Page Goulsons you mention are father and son

Page Goulson in Marston b1802 Ropsley (mistransribed as Rege) it says married but no wife listed, 4 children Elizabth 22, Joseph 20, Margaret 16,John 14 and Job 10.

I think the Margaret is actually Mary Ann from baptism records.

Monumental Inscriptions held at St Marys, Marston show the following;
                Page Goulson died 20 December 1851 aged 50 also Mary Goulson wife of the above died 16 May 1850 aged 49.

Page snr is a first cousin once removed to the children shown in my first post.

It's just this Heckington link that is bugging me, i wonder if the surname became mangled as there are a few cases where it appears as Coulson but the bmd doesn't help as in the Sleaford district there are several Goulson/Gullson and Coulson entries. You would think someone with the forename of Blackbourn would be easier to find though.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I should have known that you already had the obvious!!

1851 Heckington- Ann Coulson b1809, Head, Washer woman. Born in Heckington. However the enumerator seems to have written "M" or "F" under condition so unsure whether she was born a Coulson or married into the family! Someone else might like to confirm that for you!
                  1861 Heckington - William Coulson b1792, Heckington, head, Ag Lab with wife Mary b1808, Martin (Marston?) Lincs.

There are no other Goulsons, Gullsons or Coulsons in Heckington in those years.

And as for Blackbourn -
                  1891 Leverton - Blackburn Gulson b1860 Hellington(?) Lincs, with wife Elizabeth 1860, and 3 children.
                  1881 Thornton le Fen - Blackburn Goulsan b1855 Heckington with wife Elizabeth
                  1871 Heckington - (not sure about this!) Blackborn DEAN b1857 Heckington, servant. (must point out that Blackbourn or variations of seems to be quite common as a first/middle name in Lincolnshire)
                  1861 Little Hale (which is a part of the sub reg district of Heckington, don't know why it didn't show before) Blackemm Gulson 1856 with mother Mary 1822 widow, John,11, Mathew 10, Jane 8. Original image very hard to read.
                  Sue

Comment

Thanks very much Sue

I must admit that i hadn't really gone down the variant spellings route too much with the family as the majority of them were easy to find on the census (well the Lincoln, Woolsthorpe, Knipton and Marston based lot anyway).

The Coulson version of the name seems to crop up in the Lancs area for some of the family from the '61 returns onwards so it seems feasible it could also affect another branch. If this lot are connected though they are the only ones to break with tradition and forego the usual male forenames of Page, Benjamin, Joshua and Joseph. There are a few John Goulson entries in my tree starting around 1816 though obviously there are probably other/earlier ones too.

I did have a look at an 1860's Lincs Directory but couldn't see anything obvious for the name variants, there is a chap with the surname Blackbourn, the local butcher!!

It's quite strange when you try a soundex on some sites, Gulson is an obvious one then you get Gullison, Gillison Gilligan and even Gringham, i have never seen the Goulsan version appear so that is one to bear in mind and a bit more likely to be a more accurate variant.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I'm just thinking outloud here and adding some likely bmd refs including variants where possible

1861 Little Hale (which is a part of the sub reg district of Heckington, don't know why it didn't show before) Blackemm Gulson 1856 with mother Mary 1822 widow, John,11, Mathew 10, Jane 8. Original image very hard to read

Possible birth for Mathew

Births Jun 1851 (>99%)
                      ------------------------------
                      Goulson Matthew Sleaford 14 579

++++

Possible for John, two images checked and both appear correctly transcribed, possibly two different births?

Births Mar 1849 (>99%)
                      ---------------------------
                      Goulson John Sleaford 14 550
                      GOULSON John Sleaford 14 580

Nothing obvious for Jane or a marriage for Blackbourn to an Elizabeth

If Blackbourn is the son of Thomas and Mary (Vear or Eyre), Mary recorded as widow in 1861 then possible death of William;

Deaths Sep 1860 (>99%)
                      ---------------------------

Gulson Thomas Sleaford 7a 207

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

From Free BMD on Ancestry

Blackbourn Gulson
                        1856 Qtr 2
                        Sleaford
                        Vol 7a p 413
                        Sue

Comment

And a marriage - this one is interesting - see earlier post when he's a servant!

Blackburn Gulson Deane
                          1878 qtr 3
                          Boston
                          vol 7a p633

spouse - Elizabeth Milson
                          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                            And a marriage - this one is interesting - see earlier post when he's a servant!

Blackburn Gulson Deane
                            1878 qtr 3
                            Boston
                            vol 7a p633

spouse - Elizabeth Milson
                            That is interesting

I was just hunting through the 1911 and found this;

GULSON BLACKBURN M 1868 43 Boston, a bit out for the age but the name and area fit.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Looks like the 1901 has him transcribed as Blackburn Gulson

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Yes, he's given his dob as 1861, Heckington.
                                with wife Elizabeth 1860
                                and Children

Herbert b 1888 Sibsey Lincs
                                Frank b 1892 Liverton

There's a Louisa Humble 1869 Tetford and her daughter Agnes M Humble 1892 with them. Louisa is his sister in law
                                Sue

Comment

The birth ref for Frank is unclear on freebmd and the scan is actually a page full of surnames starting with "H".

Herbert appears to have married in 1912

>>Cumberworth Ellen B Culson Boston 7a 1062
                                  FOSTER John J Harness Boston 7a 1062
                                  >>GULSON Herbert Cumberworth Boston 7a 1062
                                  Harness Ellen Foster Boston 7a 1062

Children;
                                  Jun 1913
                                  Gulson Hilda Cumberworth Boston 7a 782

Mar 1915
                                  GULSON Norman Cumberworth Boston 7a 749

Dec 1916
                                  Gulson Frank V Cumberworth Boston 7a 657

Dec 1918
                                  Gulson May Cumberworth Boston 7a 553

Frank V b1916 via the CWGC

GULSON, FRANK VERDUN
                                  Initials: F V
                                  Nationality: United Kingdom
                                  Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
                                  Unit Text: H.M.S. Duchess
                                  Date of Death: 12/12/1939
                                  Service No: C/SSX 21017
                                  Additional information: Son of Herbert and Ellen Gulson, of Kirton, Lincolnshire.
                                  Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
                                  Grave/Memorial Reference: 33, 1.
                                  Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

As for Frank, i suspect it would be Leverton for pob as per the '91?
                                  Births Jun 1892 (>99%)

Gulson Frank Boston 7a 44[83]

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

In 1891 the 3 children are

George Henry aged 8
                                    Rose Ann 5
                                    Herbert 3

There is a message on the Ancestry boards dated 2001, from a descendant of George Henry..... he was finding Blackbourn " elusive"!!!
                                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                                      In 1891 the 3 children are

George Henry aged 8
                                      Rose Ann 5
                                      Herbert 3

There is a message on the Ancestry boards dated 2001, from a descendant of George Henry..... he was finding Blackbourn " elusive"!!!
                                      :D:D

Glad it isn't just me then.

Now i wonder if the William abt 1792 you found on the census is a link in the chain. Heading back to my original post he could possibly be the missing surviving male i think i need. Failing that there could be another candidate called John ....

Again from my original post,
                                      There is a baptism of Blackbourn Goulson 31st May 1863, parents Thomas and Mary.
                                      Possible marriage of the parents 16 May 1843, (Thomas Goulson and Mary Vear, father of the groom is called John Goulson, a deceased carpenter).

Presumably that would mean Thomas was born 1820's or possibly slightly earlier, his father could easily be a 1790's birth.

I think i may have a little task for Gloryer at the archives if she is still going :D
                                      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 22-03-09, 20:40.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                        I have the dates OC.

It's the gap between from the 1780's to the 1860's i'm trying to look into and if Blackbourn Goulson bapt May 1863 is related. If he is it suggests i have at least one missing male child born to Joshua and Alice.

There is a discrepancy i just discovered though in the freereg and bmd records, freebmd has 9 names listed for the page, six grooms and three brides i checked the images and Eyre is correct and the two scans under the Goulson/Gullson variants also match up.

Marriages Jun 1843 (>99%)
                                        -------------------------------

BUTCHER Frances Sleaford 14 991
                                        DAY William Sleaford 14 991
                                        Eyre Mary Sleaford 14 991
                                        Feary Edward Sleaford 14 991
                                        GOULSON Thomas Sleaford 14 991
                                        GULLSON Thomas Sleaford 14 991

MUCKSLEY George Sleaford 14 991
                                        MUXLOW George Sleaford 14 991
                                        REYNOLDS Mary Sleaford 14 991

Freereg shows two marriages, both with the same dates, bride is noted as Mary Vear, witnesses and fathers etc all match, it is just the discrepancy with the grooms surname.

16 May 1843 GOULSON Thomas, Heckington
                                        16 May 1843 GULLSON Thomas, Heckington

*edit*

Probable birth registration of Blackbourn

Births Jun 1856 (>99%)
                                        ----------------------------

Gulson Blackbourn Sleaford 7a 413

Missing bride on the 1843 marriages is Mary Vear, listed on freebmd but page number incomplete, a postem is also added to the entry.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X