richard west 1798 surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richard west 1798 surrey

hello ive hit a brick wall with the west family.
    im trying to find out the parents off richard west born in frensham surrey in abt 1798.he married ann mullard in dec 1824 and they had the following children:
    caroline 1826, james 1826, richard 1827-1889,george 1830 and ann 1835
    james 1837 married mary lunn and their son allan 1853 was my nans grandfather.

Were they all in the Frensham area? I might be able to find something for you.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I haven't found much, but it might lead to something:

My Stilwell family came from Shotter Mill Linchmere and my Harding family from Frensham.

A lady called Greta A. Turner has written two books on Shottermill, which also mention Frensham as it is in such close proximity.

Shottermill its Farms, Families and Mills
      Part 1 - Early Times to the 1700s
      Part 2 - 1730 to the Early 20th Century

I have found a Richard West in Part 1, page 228.

She is talking about "the last great parcel of land - the Great Prupersture" and that in 1665 "Edward Raple's son sold it to Richard West". She says that Richard West was from ROundhurst and his will dated 1673.

Greta mentions another book which mentions this Richard West:

"Bygone Haslemere" by E.W. Swanton & P. Woods, Newman, London 1914.

This might not be your family, but fingers cross there is a connection. It's something you need to pursue.

Greta Turner works (or used to work) at Haslemere Museum and is very helpful.

I'd love to know how your research goes.
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-03-09, 18:36.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Here is information on the books - this chap is also very helpful and has a wonderful website. He helped me with my Whites.

Shottermill part 1 - ISBN 1873855397
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Surrey History Centre holds the parish registers:

Surrey History Centre
          130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND
          (01483) 518737

FRENSHAM St Mary Ancient parish
          OR 1650-1906 1649-1971 1649-1919* W
          MF 1650-1900 1649-1895 1649-1900* W
          PHOT
          TRS 1650-1840 1649-1837** 1649-1840 W
          GD PR
          NOTES *Burials - no entries 1705-1712
          ** index only
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

This is the link for Surrey Wills:

Names Mentioned

There are quite a few entries under Richard West.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

There are a couple of early wills for Richard West in the Haslemere area on the National Archives website:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Search Results
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
              X