Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from Newark, Notts?

Hi 'n help

I'm trying to find our where Chatham Street was in Newark; not the one in Southwell; but the one that was there in the 1880's.

It's not crucial, but just one of those things that bugs, you know?

In an ideal world a photo of number 12; but I'll settle for rough idea of where it was

With thanks
    Brian
    Brian

Have you found it in the census and tried to map it using the surrounding roads from the census listing?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Have you found it in the census and tried to map it using the surrounding roads from the census listing?
      The addy came from the 1891 census which a forum member kindly supplied me with . . .
      Brian

Comment

If you have found the person you are looking for on the census then you will be able to see the Enumeration District from the transcription.
        Viewing the description of the enumeration district gives you a good idea of the area covered and often lists the surrounding roads.

Enumeration district which includes Chatham Street:
        - Ancestry.co.uk
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Enumeration district which includes Chatham Street:
          - Ancestry.co.uk
          I'm afraid I can't read that as I don't have a subscription . . but thanks
          Brian

Comment

I'll send you a pm Brian.
            Elaine

Comment

It's being a bit slow today, but the Historical Directories site has some PO directories in the list, and they do give an indication of how streets interlocked.

It's come up with the first page of potential directories, but most of them seem to be for Nottingham, itself, rather than the county.

Later - They have a PO one for the county for 1876, so I'm having a "quick" (dreadfully slow) look at that. (I shouldn't be ungrateful - it's a great site and we're fortunate to have access online to so many OCR-searchable directories.)

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-03-09, 17:17.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found an Ann HAW, beer retailer, living in Chatham St, Newark...but that's in the business bit of it, rather than the addresses bit.

~~~~

The addresses bit has only Nos 1, 3, 7, & 8 (as far as I can tell):
                1: ARMITAGE, Richard S
                3: ASK, Thomas, smallware dealer
                7: TOWERS, Edwin, tailor
                .......here is Chatham Place.......
                8: SCOTT, Samuel, chimney sweeper

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-03-09, 17:28.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you all, you're great open a bottle, you deserve a drink

I found it, after Elaines clues, here:

just in case it helps anyone else

Regards
                  B
                  Brian

Comment

Not too far from Newark but have various bits I have collected and records as my Wards are from there, is there anything I can help you with?
                    Elaine
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                      Not too far from Newark . . . . is there anything I can help you with?
                      Elaine
                      Elaine, thank you for the offer.
                      I've found the info I was looking for
                      (unless you had a photo of 8, 9, 10 Portland Street from around 1890; that would be of interest)

Thank you
                      Brian
                      Brian

Comment

Sorry no, but do have a rather good street map
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Elaine; 21-03-09, 12:36.
                        Elaine

Comment

Have a look here

Newark Millgate Museum

You may need to ring them as I can't see the link to the resource centre. They have a lot of material there, was able to get this copy from them

Pratt__late_R_Wand.jpg

Family shop on Cartergate, not them unfortunately
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X