Old Birth Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Birth Records

Would I be able to find on line ,a record of a Birth in 1788 ? I have looked at all on Ancestry but they do not go back that far that I can see, is there any where les, oh I I looked on Family search the Morman site too.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

You'll only find Baptism records before 1837, in the church parish records. Some of them are on the IGI (Familysearch) but by no means everything is on there. There are not many parish records on Ancestry.

If you have an idea of which parish to look at you could visit the County Record Office local to that area. Alternatively you could see if the Mormans have filmed that parish and order the film at the local history centre nearest to you.

You could also try FreeReg which is beginning the vast process of transcribing Parish Records on line.

Anne

Comment

Patti

There are a number of baptism registers of London Dockland parishes on ParishRegister.com. It is free to search for a name, but pay to receive details.

Worth a look if your ancestor might have been born in that area.

Otherwise Ancestry, later this year or early next, will have all the LMA parish registers available to search.

Carol
      Last edited by Carol Bird; 20-03-09, 11:01. Reason: clarify

Comment

Patti, if you give us some details of whose birth you are looking for, we might be able to give more specific help.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Bird View Post

There are a number of parish registers of London Dockland parishes on
          ParishRegister.com. It is free to search, but pay to receive details.
          They are also available on Findmypast, along with data from other areas.
          Help and Advice | Knowledge Base | Parish Records at findmypast.com
          Elaine

Comment

Ok thank you for that info, I will have more looks the name is James Speck born 1788 in Wiltshire,I am trying to prove his parents whom I have as another James Speck born 1743 and mother Sarah Garlick.
            regards Patti

Comment

Patti, is he on any census after 1841?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Wiltshire FHS have published a huge number of PR transcriptions, so a lot of work has been done. It's worth looking at their website, to see what is available & where it might be.

They have also transcribed lots of other records. So I know one of my ancestors was a bad lady, up for larceny, while others had to go to hospital.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes he is on the 1851 and18 61 Census
                  regards Patti

Comment

Oh ok thats good.
                    regards Patti

Comment

Patti, can you tell us what it says for his birthplace in 1851 and 1861, then, please? Does it just say Wiltshire or does it say the placename?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Yes its Wroughton or Allombe, in Wotton Bassett area I think they are the same place, I hope.
                        regards Patti

Comment

Didn't Wotton Bassett have a large hiring fair? I'm sure there are lots of records for the area.
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be such a place as Allombe; I'm wondering if it is supposed to say Alcombe? But I haven't managed to find out exactly where Alcombe, Wiltshire is / was yet. His birthplace on the 1861 census is quite hard to read too; I'm not sure if it does say Wroughton or something else.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, as far as I can tell, Alcombe seems to be in the parish of Box, but Box isn't very near to Wroughton so I guess you would have to try both parishes, Box and Wroughton, to look for his baptism.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

It looks as if there is a hamlet called Elcombe, just west of Wroughton.

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense, Phoenix.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

oh what a lot of problems I pose
                                    regards Patti

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                      You'll only find Baptism records before 1837, in the church parish records. Some of them are on the IGI (Familysearch) but by no means everything is on there. There are not many parish records on Ancestry.

snip
                                      Anne
                                      Sorry but once again wrong information.
                                      Whilst it is true that for most period parish registers did not contain births, there were many times when they did.
                                      Much depended on the vicar or churchwardens could be bothered to include the birth date.

Never assume that a birth date before 1937 is estimated or even in error it could very simply be the date provided in the parish register.
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                                        Sorry but once again wrong information.
                                        Whilst it is true that for most period parish registers did not contain births, there were many times when they did.
                                        Much depended on the vicar or churchwardens could be bothered to include the birth date.

Never assume that a birth date before 1937 is estimated or even in error it could very simply be the date provided in the parish register.
                                        Cheers
                                        Guy
                                        It would be a very unusual case where a parish register details a birth and no baptism though (though some of my ancestors fall into that catagory, but that's another story!), so to say you would need to rely on baptism records is in the main true. You wouldn't go to a parish register because you wanted to find a birth record - you would be looking for a baptism and if there was a birth date there too then that would be a bonus.

I presume you meant 1837 rather than 1937 - a typo, rather than "wrong information"?

Comment

Working...
                                        X