Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Street View just released

360 degree views.

Cities covered are London, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bradford, Cambridge, Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Oxford, Sheffield, Nottingham, Derby, Bristol, Coventry, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Swansea, York, Newcastle, Dundee, Southampton, Norwich, Scunthorpe.

How to use is it.
    Go to http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl. Find the road you want and zoom in on it. On the left of the screen is a small icon of a person. Hover over this and it will move. Click your mouse and holding it down, drag the icon over the top of the road you want. If the road turns blue, then there is a street view of it. Release you finger and the screen will change to a 360 degree view of the road. Use your cursor keys to move up and down the road and left and right to view all around.

Have fun! Find where your ancestors lived. It will save the cost of train fare or petrol.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Yes, it's great. I played with it for hours last night. Even got street views in Australia!
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thanks for this Keldon
      Pam

Comment

Goodness - its very impressive. BUT BEWARE!!!

I naturally looked for the house my parents had until my Dad died in 2006. I carefully hovered the pointer over the correct place in York ....... I got it first time - quite an odd feeling to see the house. Unfortunately it had the wrong number. The note said it was number 19 when in fact it is number 36.

If you were looking for a picture of an ancestor's house which you had never seen you might be mislead into using the wrong one.

Anne

PS - right, I see that it says approximate address. I would ignore the number of the house. It was definately the right street. Very good quality pictures too.
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 20-03-09, 15:04.

Comment

You could try going in closer and reading the number on the door.

I just did that with my old house as the tree that was outside it had been removed and I wasn't sure if I had the right one.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I had great fun playing with it yesterday, Makes my day trip to London to photograph the rellies houses a bit redundant, I can get it all on Google now!

I would agree that it's important to check the house numbers though
            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I've just transcribed OH's great-grandfather's will from 1910 and have found the street in Sheffield where he was living and the house! I have just shown OH!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Caused great interest and amusement here last night as saw son on there, completely him without doubt! How amazing that is, there must be so many images of people captured whose reles will never look so once again our hobby has its own unique benefits!

Ice

Comment

I can understand that some people would object and they have a point.

In my case it was just very interesting to see my son where he should be and doing what he should be doing.

However if you were not where you should be or with someone you should not be with then that would be a completely different matter.
                  Ice

Comment

Erm Scunthorpe!!!!!

I would have thought somewhere else would have looked better for the initial launch :D
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

It's about time it got to the UK!!!! We've had it hear for about a year and it's been great fun but none of my ancestors lived here!!!!! There was a great fuss about "invasion of privacy" but they must have got past that if the UK is now on!;)
                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

people are worried about having images displayed on the internet, but in London you can be caught on dozens of survellance cameras and you have no idea who is looking at you or what they do with the images.

I have enjoyed having a good look at street google - and another use for it is that you can see exactly how far the records office you visit is from the station, or whether there is a bus stop nearby etc. I've even zoomed in on a cemetery noticeboard to check opening times!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

A man from Google was on BBC Breakfast yesterday, I think. If you see a face or car number-plate that hasn't been blurred out you can report it. There are not supposed to be any clear images of people or number-plates.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Has been withdrawn I heard this morning due to complaints. Don't know for sure tho' I haven't checked it out today.

Well just checked and it's still there**embarrassed now** . I'm sure I heard that on the radio this morning.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-03-09, 20:49.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

maybe some images have been removed I tried to view the house where my grandparents lived and I got image removed message.I know a mosque was built quite close to where they lived.

Comment

I see it can be very selective in what you can see, I mean Tony & Cheri don't want it invading their privicy
                                You're not Googling us: The Blairs, House of Commons and Google boss won't have THEIR privacy invaded on Street View | Mail Online
                                Well whats good for the goose is good for the gander, I shall tell Google that I want the same privicy as them.
                                L

Comment

It's been here for at least a year and everyone was laughing at one image with a fellow climbing out of a window. Not sure if he was stealing something or visiting someone he shouldn't have been, or just having a lark....lol

Comment

Originally posted by It_Is_I_Leclerc View Post
                                    I see it can be very selective in what you can see, I mean Tony & Cheri don't want it invading their privicy
                                    You're not Googling us: The Blairs, House of Commons and Google boss won't have THEIR privacy invaded on Street View | Mail Online
                                    Well whats good for the goose is good for the gander, I shall tell Google that I want the same privicy as them.
                                    L
                                    You can Google has said that if you want your house blanked out you can, but don't you think its pointless wouldn't it make people more interested in why one didn't want a snapshot taken one particular day at one particular time on street view.

As in the article above shows it would just create more interest I think.

Its not a live web cam and yet we have hundreds of live web cams for traffic reports and other things no one seems to mind about them There are loads all over the west end and thats up to the minute whats happening cameras and you can go online and view most of them.

There's a live web cam at the bottom of my road.

Comment

Until recently I never knew my great great uncle (b.1867) had children. He didn't make it easy, he didn't marry until he was 51, and all but one of his children had been born in the 12 years before that out of wedlock. In any case it's a fairly rare surname (in England, it's Irish), so I set about tracing any descendants. Within an hour I'd traced them and using a combination of Ancestrys BMD's, 912.com, and Google street maps, I had the full name and adress of one great grandaughter, and her husband. I know she has two daughters 15 and 17, and I was with this latest tool even able to nose at her home, see what car she drives, and even zoom right in on her front window and examine her taste in net curtains! Until an hour before I'd never even heard of her or knew her existence. Apart from ancestry sub, all that info cost me nothing.

Now luckily I don't have any sinister intent. At most I might send her a breif letter outlining our possible connection seeing if she has an interest. I may not even do that, as it seems intrusive, will probably just file the info in case she ever develops an interest in family history joins GR, or another site, so I'll already know where she fits in and have a head start.

What worries me though is how easy it all was. What if I did have sinister intent? How many of us has had arguements on the internet or intentionally or unintentionally upset someone? Wasn't there already a case last year where a german teen tracked down, got on a plane killed a teen over here over a row they'd had online? It's worrying how easy it is now to find so much info on living people, with bare minimal effort and outlay, and google street maps is just latest leap on that road.

Comment

Richard

If you really wanted to find someone you would be able to without using streetview on google. As you proved.

You already had the address if you were that interested or had any sinister intentions you would have driven/got on a train and gone there yourself. But thats the point the majority of people don't care and are not interested in what other people's houses look like unless they're damn nosey and thats about the extent of it.

Actually managing to get the address or telephone number is where invasion of privacy starts not street view Google. Anyone with bad intentions do not need street view Google.

Oh and as far as I can see you can't actually pinpoint a flat or house because it only gives you an approximate location or street number you could have been looking at next doors house or the one over the road ;)

I checked my own house on street view google, I keyed in my address and low and behold a house did come up but it wasn't mine my one was a bit further up the road and I went a bit further up the road and I pinpointed my house but then I know what it looks like.

If you look at the top left hand corner is says the address is approximate.
                                        Last edited by Guest; 22-03-09, 12:14.

Comment

Working...
                                        X