Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowland family of Churton by Aldford

Hello,

I have just found this web site, and am hoping that someone may be able to help me trace details on my father-in-laws mum & dad.

My father in law was Percy Rowland b1920, and he never knew his parents as he was brought up, supposedly, by his grandparents.

From Percy's birth certificate, his father was Arthur Rowland and his mother was Florence Emily Dutton, and the wording on the birth cert implied that they were married.

We know, from other family members that there is some connection to Frederick Rowland, b1849 - Carden, Cheshire, who was married to Mary Gibson, b1851 - Rossett, Denbighshire, and were living in Churton by Aldford when Percy was born, and Percy also lived in Churton by Aldford when he was a child.

I cannot find a marriage record for Arthur & Florence Emily, Percy's parents, so don't have any details on Florence Emily either.

Another problem is that according to census records, Frederick & Mary Rowland had a son called Arthur b abt 1886 in Churton by Aldford, and they also had a grandson called Arthur (parents unknown), b abt 1899, and whilst I am almost sure that one of these two Arthurs is Percy's father, I am at a dead end trying to trace any firm evidence, and don't know where to go from here.

I have trees on both Ancestry & Genesreunited, so have access to census records and BMD records, and whilst I can find people who have the two Arthurs in their trees, they do not have wives or children listed for them.

I suppose what I am really hoping for (and I know its a long shot) is that someone out there can link an Arthur Rowland from Churton with a Florence Emily Dutton, and that way, I might find what I'm looking for.

Many thanks,
    Dalavon.

Welcome to the FTF site Dalavon...hopefully you will get some answers ...a nice friendly site on here....enjoy....allan;)
    ( to our members..)
    I recommended Dalavon to come on FTF to help with research....posted on another site but wasn`t getting any further..so hopefully we can help...allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 20-03-09, 09:07.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

Have you looked at the 1911 census at all for Arthur and Florence Emily?

Margaret

Comment

What occupation is given for Arthur Rowland on Percy's birth certificate, please? And what address is given for Florence?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Okay ..going back to Frederick Rowland and Mary Gibson...
          they married in Great Boughton(the outskirts of Chester) in DEC QTR 1869..
          Ref No 8a 524....going now to try and find Frederick/Mary`s children...hopefully one will be an Arthur.....allan;)
          I can only find ONE Percival Rowland in Cheshire on freebmd...he was born 1896....Dalavon...was Percy b 1920 born in Cheshire ?...allan
          Last edited by garstonite; 20-03-09, 09:56.
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan, Percy's birth is listed on FreeBMD, Apr-Jun 1920, Chester district, MMN Dutton, but since Dalavon already has the birth certificate that doesn't help! I see there is another Rowland birth with the same page number, but a different mother's maiden name. I won't post up the name because that person might still be alive, but I wonder whether it's just a coincidence, or could they be related and went to register the births together?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hello Kiterunner,
              Arthurs occupation is shown on the birth Cert as Bombardier in the RHA, and in brackets underneath (Cowman), so he must have been a cowman before or after his army service.

It shows that Florence Emily Rowland formerly Dutton was the mother, and their residence is shown as Edgerley Lane, Churton by Aldford, Cheshire. My mother in law still lives only about 5 miles away from Churton, and we have seen the exact house.

We have a photo of Arthur in his uniform, on his horse. We also know that percy's ancestors are Frederick and Mary Rowland, from Churton, and I have a photo of the headstone of their grave in Churton Churchyard.

Fred & Mary had a son Arthur, and a grandson Arthur, and the thing I can't find out is which of them was Percy's dad. I am more inclined to believe that it was Arthur, the son, but don't have any actual evidence to support this. That is why I really need to get someone who can actually link Arthur to Florence.

I have subscriptions to two sites that give me unlimited access to Census records, and BMD Records, and I have pretty much exhausted the records.

Kind regards,
              Dal.

Comment

Hello Margaret,

Yes, I have looked at the 1911 census, but as I don't know where in the country Florence was born, I don't know which record is correct.

Regards,
                Dal.

Comment

Maybe when the rest of the WW1 service papers go online, Arthur's will be among them. Can't you tell from his age in the picture which of the two he would be? You could try posting the picture on here if you like. Also, have you looked at the Absent Voters List for the area (if it still exists) to see if either or both Arthurs are listed, and of course the normal electoral rolls for that time?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Dalavon View Post
                    Hello Margaret,

Yes, I have looked at the 1911 census, but as I don't know where in the country Florence was born, I don't know which record is correct.

Regards,
                    Dal.
                    Dal,
                    I was just thinking that if you saw her in the area where Percy was born that might help.
                    Margaret

Comment

Working...
                    X