Which one of us is correct.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one of us is correct.

Last night I decided to have a look on ancestry to check records for my great great grandfather Thomas Marshall.

I found a tree that had him in it and his parents but had a completely different wife and life and deathtthan I had.

I contacted the owner to see if we could see which one of us had gone off track as he can't have had two lives in England and Tasmania at the same time.

My information is.

Thomas Marshall....born Hemingby 18-10-1813 to Elias Marhsall and Mary Pickwell.

He married Charlotte Greenfield in MInting LInconshire in May 1833 and had twin daughers Mary and Sarah 29-9-1833...and another daughter Ruth in 1835 who dies soon after.

He was then transported to Tasmania aboard the Elphinstone in 1836 for life.....he married Eliza Johnson in 1846 and they had 13 children.

Eliza died in 1870 and Thomas went on to marry his housekeeper in 1872 Catherine Howell...who itis rumoured that he fathered her child born in 1870.

The information on the other family tree is.

Thomas Marhsall born in Hemingby 18-10-1813...child of Elias and Mary Marshall

He married Ellen Brader in 1837 in Hemingby.

Mary 1838
    John 1839
    Martha 1844

Thomas Marshall died 1875 in Hemingby.

The tree owner is sure his information is correct as it is in the family bible.

Well one of us has to be wrong....which one......any help is greatly appreciated.

Do your Thomas's marriage and death certs give his parents' names?

Have you tried to track your contact's Thomas, wife and children through the censuses?

Comment

I haven't bothered with his death certificate as I have a copy of the inquest into his death......I rang Births deaths a marriages in Tasmania and my advice from them was death certificates in the 1880's are unlikely to contain any information about his parents.

Neither of his marriage certificates state his parents names.

Comment

The IGI shows two Thomas Marshall baptised in Hemingby in 1813 - one on 3 Jan and one on 18 Oct.

The Jan one was baptised Thomas Wilkinson Marshall son of Margaret, the Oct one the son of Elias and Mary. These are both extracted entries from the Registers. There is also a submitted entry for (Oct) Thomas' marriage giving his wife as Ellen or Eleanor Emmot.

So I would be looking at the census records and see if you can find the other Thomas, and Margaret, Charlotte and her children and Thomas and Ellen in the census. Surely there might be some small clue as to which one is which. Also look at the parish registers, sometimes there might be something written the register which is not recorded in the IGI or other places - witnesses at a marriage can be useful.

Diane
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Charlotte Greenfield is the one married to my Thomas....and she applied to come out to Tasmania and permission was denied.

She went on the marry a Joseph Wright and never had any more children other than the 3 she had with Thomas Marshall....when she died she was living with her only surviving daughter Mary Coulson....Mary's twin sister Sarah having died in 1842.

How would I go about looking at parish records for Hemingby?

I might take a chance and order Thomas Marshalls death certificate...I may get lucky.

Comment

Microfilms of parish registers are available through the LDS libraries, unless some nice person has already transcribed them somewhere. I see the Hemingby and Minting records are on the FreeREG list, but not the years you need.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

I just found this on Lincolnshire and Fenland families.

Thomas Marshall born 1802 in Horncastle to Thomas Marshall and Sarah Gibbons married Eleanor Brader 27-12-1837 in Horncastle.

That looks promising.

Comment

Unless the family bible dates back to 1813 it is not necessarily accurate and maybe not even then.

Do you have records of his trial? Or Charlotte's application to go to Tasmania? That may have some information that can help.
                Kit

Comment

Yes I have the records of his trial....and the application for Charlotte to come out.

His convict records name Charlotte as his wife and confirm he comes from Hemingby...but nothing about his mother and father.

His trial also states that he sold the heifer he stole to a cattle dealer called Marshall....now I know from cenuses that his uncles were cattle dealers in Hemingby.so I am still hopeful that the wrong family conection isn't mine....fingers crossed.

I thought maybe there was an error with the bible too...I just wanted to tread softly when I contacted the tree owner....as I know I wasn't happy to think that all the information I have back to 1500's could be someone else's and not mine.

Comment

You seem to have all the information to confirm Thomas married Charlotte, but nothing definite on Thomas' parentage. So see if you can find out what became of Thomas Wilkinson Marshall; perhaps it is he, or another who married Ellen Brader and/or Eleanor Emmot.

Is Margaret Marshall related to your family ? Perhaps an Aunt of the Thomas Marshall who was transported, related to those Cattle dealers ?
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

i would say trace the family in the census.

Comment

Do you know who his uncle Marshall was. Or can we find the Marshall cattle dealers for that time. I know it a long shot but then you could confirm if Elias Marshall was indeed a bro of this Marshall.
                        tugman

Comment

If two Thomases were born in the same year, neither have fathers named on any marriage certificate and there is no other documentation to link them to their parents (have you looked for wills or settlement examinations?) then on the face of it, a family bible does provide stronger evidence if Elias is named.

All isn't lost, though. The illegitimate Thomas was probably related and you link into the same line, just a generation or so back. See what you can find out about Margaret, his mother. Did she stay where she was, or move with your Thomas?
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There are Margarets through the family....they had a fondness for the same names......most of the branches had a Thomas and Elias....Mary and Mrgaret

I will just have to hope that there is some information on his death certificate.....there is nothing to help in his will.

I just feel very disheartened by it all at the moment....I have traced this family for 12 months now.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Is there any particular reason you thought your Thomas was the son of Elias and his wife? I had a quick look at the censuses last night, and in 1851 (if I remember rightly), Elias and Mary and one son were living only about 3 doors away form Thomas, Ellen and children.

Comment

I got the information from Lincolnshire and Fenland families.

Comment

Can i ask what the website is for the Lincolnshire families as i have some from Lincs
                                  Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

It's this website, Robyne:

Lincolnshire and Fenland Families

Flashie, the owner of that site is a member of this forum and I'm sure she would be delighted to hear from you if you want to discuss people who are listed in her database and ask her where she got the information from etc.
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite thats great. No luck yet, but heres hoping!
                                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Working...
                                        X