Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 19th March 2009 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 19th March 2009 is......

kes_hill

Well done!

Well done Kes hope you get plenty of walls down babe ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Congratulations Kes,enjoy your week.

Molly

Comment

Well what a surprise!!!

My 'problem' I've hinted at before.... Thomas W Hampshire and Eunice ? (I believe Kent) married in 1847. Thomas was a member of the 57th foot regiment and was discarged at the age of 40 in 1847.
        They produced 4 children- Frederick b 1851 d 1915, Julia b 1852 d 1914, Alice b 1855 and George b. 1857 d 1904.

On the 1851 census Thomas, Eunice and Frederick are living in Hornchurch Essex.

On the 1861 census all members of the family are living a High street post office Hornchurch where Thomas is the postmaster.

In 1869 Thomas dies.

In 1871 Eunice, Julia, Alice & George are still at the Post office where Eunice is now the postmistress and Julia is her assistant. Frederick is found as an inmate at Essex County Lunatic Asylum, he is listed as a soldier. Is there any way of finding out what unit and what campaign would he have been involved in?

Eunice dies in 1876.

In 1881 Alice Hampshire is listed as governess for the Thompson family lliving in the village of Hunston in Suffolk. I can find no trace of her after this. Did she marry? move overseas? have children? She is my big mystery!!

On the 1901 census both Frederick and Julia are inmates at the county facility listed as 'lunatics'. I have contacted Essex records office and they could tell me that Frederick was discharged 25 September 1907 to Bethnal House a private asylum. Apparently paper records do not survive and the index for Julia could not be found. There deaths were registered in Colchester.

Any information or ideas for me to chase would be appreciated.
        Thank you.
        "chasing dead rellies"
        GO STORM

Comment

congratulation have a good week....brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by kes_hill View Post
            Frederick is found as an inmate at Essex County Lunatic Asylum, he is listed as a soldier. Is there any way of finding out what unit and what campaign would he have been involved in?
            His army records should be at TNA but may not be indexed online yet. He might not have been involved in any campaign at all since he must have only been in the army a very short time before he went into the asylum.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Perhaps I should add I spent quite some time looking for Alice but no luck, I'm afraid.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Thankyou so much for trying to find Alice..she looks like she will remain my mystery(brickwall)!!!! Her brother and sister Frederick & Julia died childless, George, my gg-grandfather, had 2 sons of which one died childless, the other- my grandfather produced one child, my dad....so my hopes of finding another branch seems dashed. Oh well :(

As for other brickwalls- only one, but this could be because I haven't done enough research of my own yet (concentrating on the Hampshire's) it regards my German ancestor entering Australia. Will gather names and dates and add known details later.

Once again thanks for trying to help with Alice.
                "chasing dead rellies"
                GO STORM

Comment

I had a look on the National Probate Calendar in case there was an entry for Frederick or Julia but nothing there.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Would Frederick have joined the same Regiment as his father?

He could have joined as a 14 year old - so might have 6 years service in - which could give a war/conflict timeframe of 1865 - 1871.

As Kite said it doesn't have to have been a war - I had 3 soldiers in the same regiment - one served 1841 - 1861 and spent nearly 10 years in Canada whilst his brother was in the Crimea and Indian Mutiny. The brother-in-law was in the West Indies.

.................................................. ..........

Alice Hampshire could have become a governess to another family that moved overseas.

Would her death or marriage be in the overseas BDM's?
                    Last edited by JBee; 23-03-09, 19:38.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

there's this marriage but in warwick:

Marriages Dec 1881
                      HAMSHER Alice Warwick 6d 897

Marriages Jun 1882
                      Hamshire Alice Kensington 1a 114

Marriages Jun 1890
                      Hampshire Alice Ann Leeds 9b 894
                      Hamshere Alice Hackney 1b 735

Marriages Sep 1890
                      HAMPSHIRE Alice Sheffield 9c 676
                      HAMPSHIRE Alice Hayfield 7b 1186

there are plenty of hampson's.

is this possible?
                      Marriages Sep 1893
                      Hampshire Alice Hambledon 2a 243

there's one in 1898 hunslet, and another in 1899 petworth, 1901 dewsbury,
                      and three in 1902, dorking, rochdale, and hull.

none look likely, but i'm trying to show the variant's.

Comment

and there are no likely death's. emmigration or marriage are my bets.

Comment

Originally posted by kes_hill View Post
                          Well what a surprise!!!

On the 1901 census both Frederick and Julia are inmates at the county facility listed as 'lunatics'. I have contacted Essex records office and they could tell me that Frederick was discharged 25 September 1907 to Bethnal House a private asylum. Apparently paper records do not survive and the index for Julia could not be found. There deaths were registered in Colchester.

Any information or ideas for me to chase would be appreciated.
                          Thank you.
                          Did you get the death certs for Frederick and Julia to see if their sister was involved at all? I guess they were probably in Severalls Mental Hospital in Colchester which serves a large part of Essex. You may try enquiring of there for any records.
                          Margaret

Comment

Thankyou to all those who have helped. As yet I haven't requested the death certificates of Frederick and Julia.
                            Posing this brickwall was a way for me to 'glean' ideas from this forum and check that I'm on the right track.

JBee-Re: Fred....It is possible he may have joined the same regiment. The only reason I thought he may have been involved in a 'conflict' was to grasp at a possible reason for his admission to Essex County Lunatic Asylum...ie battle fatigue, shell shock.

Kylejustin & JBee-Re: Alice...I too feel she must have married and or emigrated. I've looked at FreeBMD site and ruled out various possible marriages, any with as secondname eg Alice Ann. As for various spellings..every record I have for my branch has the one spelling, Hampshire, but maybe I should check for variants.

Margaret... I have already tried Essex County LA but will now try Severalls Mental Hospital, thankyou

JBee this is probably a 'silly' question but where do I find the overseasBMD's?

Once again thanks to all for your help, it is very much appreciated....Kes
                            "chasing dead rellies"
                            GO STORM

Comment

Find my Past have overseas births, marriages and deaths as notified to the British Consuls. Also births at sea.

Birth, marriage and death records 1837 - 2006: search on findmypast
                              Last edited by JBee; 25-03-09, 00:00.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thanks JBee. I shall attempt to find her now
                                Kes
                                "chasing dead rellies"
                                GO STORM

Comment

As a new forum member is chosen tomorrow morning, I would like to thank ftf for all their help with my brickwalls. Your help has given me some 'leads' to follow.

THANK YOU
                                  "chasing dead rellies"
                                  GO STORM

Comment

Working...
                                  X