Well that help alot - NOT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that help alot - NOT!!

As you know I am having trouble tracing my Great Grandfather Richard Woods birth. I have had various pieces of advise about this but still not been able to pin point the correct one. A baptism was found for a Richard Woods who lived at the same address as my family in 1881 but it stated he was 2 1/2 at baptism in 1875. As far as I was concerned he should have been born between 1877 - 1880.

So to check a theory I decided to order a death cert for a Richard Woods aged 4 in 1877 to see if he could have been an older brother who died and then my Great Grandfather was born and named after him.

Anyway I ordered this death cert, stating a check for his father name as I only wanted it if his fathers name was John, and after a week I hadnt heard anything so I called the GRO and they said there was nothing to say a refund had been authorised or that it had been dispatched. The lady kindly said she would look into it and get them to deal with it as a priority. I then received an email about this.

Today I have come home to 2 envelopes and believe it or not, both envelopes contained the same cert and the father of the child who died was John Richard Woods!!!!!!. The child died in a workhouse. Now as this was in between census I have no idea if he is related to mine or not as the mother's name was not given. AARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

arrrgghhh! indeed!

does the father's occupation match up, or do they not give it on death certs?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If the baptism was the June 1875 one and he was 2½, then this seems to be the most likely birth:

Births Dec 1872
      WOODS Richard W Derby 8b 306

I seem to remember you know who the mother should be, so could you specify her name?

Comment

Woods

Hiya
        Can you give me your great grandfathers mums name please & maiden name.
        What year do you have his parents getting married please.
        Then i can work on that for you.
        tugman

Comment

Fi it's so annoying when the cert doesn't answer the question or gives you more questions.

I hope you can work it out soon.
          Kit

Comment

Hi Fi

Have you checked the workhouse records to see if the baby was born in the workhouse and if so in the Admissions and Discharge register it should say who the mother was? I have been looking at workhouse books for the first time at the Surrey History Centre in the last week and they said who the mother's were for the births. The babies were first recorded as Infant then Surname in the Admissions column but then the given name was added at a later point.

Did the baptism record give the mother's name as they usually do.

Hope you are keeping ok.

Comment

No mother's name on baptism record for the child aged 2 1/2 at baptism in June 1875. No mother's name on death cert for the child who died August 1877 either.

So if anyone is able to visit the Liverpool RO to check records of baptisms for a Richard Woods with parents John and Ann nee Atkin later than 1875 I would be very grateful. I believe my Richard was born 1876-1878.

Many Thanks
              Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                If the baptism was the June 1875 one and he was 2½, then this seems to be the most likely birth:

Births Dec 1872

I seem to remember you know who the mother should be, so could you specify her name?
                I have just put in an application for this cert. Thanks Merry.

Fingers crossed it is him.
                Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
                  No mother's name on baptism record for the child aged 2 1/2 at baptism in June 1875. No mother's name on death cert for the child who died August 1877 either.

So if anyone is able to visit the Liverpool RO to check records of baptisms for a Richard Woods with parents John and Ann nee Atkin later than 1875 I would be very grateful. I believe my Richard was born 1876-1878.

Many Thanks
                  That sounds like an enormous task for someone, Fi, unless you at least know which church he was baptised at.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It was St Pauls Parish. However this may not be needed depending on the cert I have just ordered. See previous message by me.
                    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

Births Dec 1872

I have had a refund from the GRO as the above did not fit the mothers name I was expecting and therefore was not for the child baptised in June 1875.
                      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Oh drat, I am sorry Fi :o

Comment

Working...
                        X