Can anyone help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help

My great great grandfather was Charles Richings. According to the 1861 census he was 30 at the time of the census, making it he was born in either 1830/31. His place of birth is down as Cirencester; Gloucester. I have looked in the obvious places genes reunited; free bmd; family search; but can't find any thing to help me move on about his parents.
    Heres hoping someone can help.
    Thanks

Do you have his marriage cert? This should give you his father's details......

Comment

As Merry says, his marriage cert shuld give his father's name and occupation. In the meantime there is this household on the 1841 census in the parish of Painswick, borough of Stroud, Gloucestershire (not very far from Cirencester)
      HO107/347 folio 39 bottom of page 4, top of age 5:
      Richard Richins 40 Ag Lab
      Precilla Richins aged 40
      Thomas Richins aged 14
      Charles Richins aged 12
      John Richins aged 9
      Edward Richins aged 6
      William Richins aged 1
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Can anyone help

Thank you Merry & Judith. Unfortunately I don't have a marriage certificate.
        The only thing I have to go on is in the 1861 census for Bradfield, Yorkshire,
        Charles (Head) Married 30 Excavator born in Cirencester, Glooucester.
        Susannah (wife) 26 born in Fullwood, Yorkshire
        Joseph (son) 3 months born in Bradfield, Yorkshire
        Ann (daughter) 2 born in Bradfield, Yorkshire.

Comment

This looks like it could be Charles and Susannah's marriage (found on freebmd)

Charles Richings and Susannah Malsom - district of Cheltenham - Q4, 1859 - 6a 807

Comment

You would be best to get a birth certificate for one of their children (preferably your direct ancestor) so you can be sure of Susannah's maiden name before looking for their marriage, and then when you have all that, look for Charles' baptism.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Can anyone help

Thanks everyone. Susannah's maiden name was Elliott, and she was born in Fullwood, Sheffield. So we will keep on looking

Comment

Working...
              X