Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made a book?

Hi All,

I've been typing up some of my dad's 'jottings' and would like to incorporate them into a book of his life. Just something for immediate family to have as a keepsake.

I will have to write about his last thirty or so years myself, as he got too ill to carry on writing.

Just wondering how to make the transition from him writing in the first person, to me writing about him.
    Should I call him 'dad' or by his first name?
    How would I alert the reader that there is a change in the writer? Although this would become obvious I suppose.

Has anyone done anything similar?
    I would appreciate any advice
    Bren

Looking for
    WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
    SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
    COXHEAD (Canada)
    WADE (USA)

Never done this myself, i am currently typing up a "book" that my nan wrote about her life. However perhaps on the front cover you could put the author as your dad and your self and then have a page after his last one with a note about him passing away. Then start the next page with you writing?
    perhaps also have a page at the front stating what happened and that the book starts with his own words and ends in yours?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

I have written a book on my Father's life and referred to him by his name as I was giving it to him and my Sister.

Regards
      Jill
      Last edited by dahaniuk; 19-03-09, 19:07.

Comment

I would begin with a new chapter,highlighting the fact that "John is no longer able to continue his journals due to ill health and his daughter "name"... if required...is continuing his work in his name"John" in place of "I" and then the reader is in the picture as to the fact that Johns daughter has taken over the writing of the book on his behalf.

Edna

Comment

Thanks All for your replies

You have some good ideas, I'll give it some more thought but think I know what to do now.
          Bren

Looking for
          WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
          SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
          COXHEAD (Canada)
          WADE (USA)

Comment

Working...
          X