Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean?

Evening all,
    I am trying to find information on my ggg uncle and his wife who moved to Australia c1882 - 1884.
    I have come across the following on the IGI:

Husband's Name George, Elijah, HALFACREE (AFN:1KQQ-05J) Pedigree
    Born: Abt 1858 Place: <, Earlwood, New South Wales, Australia>
    Died: Dec Place:
    Married: Abt 1883 Place:

Father:
    Mother:

Wife's Name Amelia SLATTER (AFN:1KQQ-06Q) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1858 Place: <, Earlwood, New South Wales, Australia>
    Died: Dec Place:
    Married: Abt 1883 Place:

Father:
    Mother:

Children
    1. Sex Name
    M Albert, Francis, HALFACREE (AFN:1KQQ-07X) Pedigree
    Born: Abt 1892 Place: <, Earlwood, New South Wales, Australia>

I am very confused as to why George and Amelia have NSW next to the year of birth. I know with absolute certainty that they were born and married in Oxford.

Please help.

Karen

This is a personal tree which someone has submitted to the IGI. As such, it does not have to be proved or verified in any way and frankly I would just ignore it - it has been submitted for religious reasons I think, not for family history reasons.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. There is a name and address for the submitter (in Australia) do you think that its worth contacting them regarding the information? Possibility that we are related? And to set the record straight.... lol

Comment

Well, no harm in trying but I have to say this has never worked for me (in the days when I cared about setting the record straight, lol).

OC

Comment

Lol.

I am just struggling to find anything about their move to / life in Australia without having to spend a fortune on internet subscriptions to Australian websites.

Comment

Karen.........

I won't be around much till Sunday night, but what is it that you are looking for???

Comment

Hi Libby.
              Anything I can find on George & Amelia and their family when they moved.
              They were born and married in Oxford in 1882 (seen the parish register with my own eyes). I believe they may have settled in NSW. I cant seem to find them on any passenger lists, and then all the websites that I seem to find with Australian records is subscription only. I cant afford to upgrade my ancestry membership to include these at the moment (got caught in the recession and was made redundant).

Karen

Comment

Karen................Glad you have the marriage......As OC said a lot of those records are rubbish.

Here is the link to the BDMs. You will have to pay to buy the cert or transcription but the records are free.
                NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

There are some Halfacrees there...looks like George and Amelia then maybe some grandchildren???

I'll check Ancestry for you.

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you so much.

Comment

Looks like George sen is Halfacree and George jun is Half-A-Cree.

Comment

There are various spellings unfortunately.
                      I believe that originally is was HALFACRE, and then somewhere along the line the second E got added - some of the children to the same parents are spelt differently.

Comment

You'll find the deaths of some of the children here:

Ryerson Index

and there are some Halfacre(e) military records here:

Collection - National Archives of Australia

Comment

According to the electoral roll, in 1930, George Elijah Halfacre (bricklayer), Amelia Halfacre (home duties) and Elizabeth Alice Halfacre (home duties) were living at 18 Chuter Avenue, Barton District, Ramsgate subdistrict.

Amelia and Elizabeth were still living there in 1936; George had died in the meantime.

Comment

1930, living at 26 Vincent Street, Lang district, Sydenham subdistrict:

George William Halfacree (bricklayer)
                            Eva Marie Halfacree (home duties)
                            Eva Amelia Irene Halfacre (machinist)

1936, living at 26 Vincent Street, Dalley district, Marrickville subdistrict:

George William Halfacree (bricklayer)
                            Eva Marie Halfacree (home duties)
                            George James Halfacree (packer)
                            Raymond Sydney Halfacree (railway employee)

The electoral roll only included people aged over 21, and doesn't show relationships. It also doesn't show people with different surnames in the same household, because it's indexed by surname, not by address.

Comment

Interesting that George E and George W both used the spelling Half-a-Cree in Sands Directories.

Comment

By the way, their first appearance in Sands Directory is in 1887, which helps narrow down the time when they emigrated.

There are two listings for that year:

- George Halfacree, bricklayer, Meek's Road, Marrickville
                                - George Halfacre, bricklayer, Vincent St., Marrickville

Comment

I think I may have found them on a passenger list. I can't see them under their correct name, but a George and Amelia Halfance (which might be a mistranscription of Halfacre), both aged 25, sailed to Queensland on the Duke of Westminster in August 1883.

Indexes - Immigration

Comment

Mary, you are an angel!
                                    Thank you SO much for all of this!!!

Comment

I have found the death notice for one of George & Amelias grand-daughters in the Sydney Morning Herald, and it lists a fair number of relatives - children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren etc.

How would I find out who belongs to who?

Comment

It's a bit of a problem if they were born recently, because NSW has strict privacy regulations, which means that the BDM index only shows births up to 1908, marriages up to 1958, and deaths up to 1978.

You can sometimes work out who parents are from the military records on the NAA site I gave you, or you may be able to find the marriage or death of someone who was born after 1908. If any of them were alive in 1930/1936, I can check the electoral roll for you.

Otherwise, the only solution is to do a search on sites like GR and Ancestry in the hope that they're in someone else's tree.

If they're likely to be still alive and the surname isn't too common, you can also try the phone book:

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

Comment

Working...
                                        X