initial search ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• initial search ?

anyone tell me how to search ancestry using just the 1st initial and then surname ? without bringing up loads of randon names with middle initial - i am looking for how they list names in the workhouse sometimes, i.e j smith

:o
    Lorraine

Unless the person was listed with just the first initial then you would not be able to find who you are looking for.
    You can use a wildcard search but you need at least three letters at the start of the name, for example,
    Sus* - would bring up Susan, Susie, Susanna, Susannah etc.

If you give us some details maybe we could help with the search?
    Elaine

Comment

If you mean a search for j smith is coming up with michael j smith, thomas j smith etc, I dont think you can filter those out I'm afraid.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

j. smith should bring up the possibles. Usually, the surname is abbreviated too, so j. s. would be the way to search.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Unless the person was listed with just the first initial then you would not be able to find who you are looking for.
          You can use a wildcard search but you need at least three letters at the start of the name, for example,
          Sus* - would bring up Susan, Susie, Susanna, Susannah etc.

If you give us some details maybe we could help with the search?
          thanks elaine, i seem to have lost an entire family again

i have from the IGI and parish records:

father: thomas mecham
          mother: martha

thomas mecham married martha mecham at st andrews, holborn, london in 1790

they had

fanny - 1793
          john - 1795
          comfort - 1802
          job - 1804
          letitia - 1805

fanny married jacob sanderson in 1815, apart from the marriage record, nothing

job married ann carter in 1827, apart from that nothing

the links i have to this family are, job mechem was witness to my gg grandparents thomas gadson meacham and elizabeth stockley in 1826, they also named their 1st son after job.
          thomas gadsons siblings and parents also have the names john, letitia, fanny amongst them.

i have trawelled through the parishes but only found 2 job mechams, one is my man, the other was born in 1830

i just cant find anything, so i was going to try the 1st initial search to see if it turned anything up.

any help would be appreciated, if you have a spare 100 years :p
          Lorraine

Comment

Sorry, I am not having any luck finding any of these at the moment.
            Elaine

Comment

it is so exasperating, my brain just refuses to function.

much to my embarrasment i have just discovered that records for marriages/death at st andrews are not on IGI, so i shall get into origins who have these records.

keep everything crossed.
              Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                thanks elaine, i seem to have lost an entire family again

i have from the IGI and parish records:

father: thomas mecham
                mother: martha

thomas mecham married martha mecham at st andrews, holborn, london in 1790

they had

fanny - 1793
                john - 1795
                comfort - 1802
                job - 1804
                letitia - 1805

fanny married jacob sanderson in 1815, apart from the marriage record, nothing

job married ann carter in 1827, apart from that nothing

the links i have to this family are, job mechem was witness to my gg grandparents thomas gadson meacham and elizabeth stockley in 1826, they also named their 1st son after job.
                thomas gadsons siblings and parents also have the names john, letitia, fanny amongst them.

i have trawelled through the parishes but only found 2 job mechams, one is my man, the other was born in 1830

i just cant find anything, so i was going to try the 1st initial search to see if it turned anything up.

any help would be appreciated, if you have a spare 100 years :p
                Sorry to bump an old thread but this post has me all excited. One of my great great grandmothers was Ann Mechem, father Thomas Gastem [sic] Mechem who was one of the witnesses to her marriage, the other witness was Elizabeth Mechem. The marriage was in 1864 in Bethnal Green but I've had no luck researching this family further (partly laziness, partly too much to do, partly 1837 brick wall...) Would be very grateful for any info you might have - will PM too

Comment

Working...
                X