Searching 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching 1911 census

Can anyone tell me if its possible to show everyone in a household, are there any current tips and tricks.
    I have found a child of my g.uncle and aunt who is not with her parents.
    Other than cough up the readies of course.

Thanks.

on the old beta version i put in first name of person and their surname and then their brother or sister as also being the household and then looked as who turned up. it seemed that i got the whole family in alphabetical order then it reverted to ordinary alphabetical order for everyone else. dont know if this still works tho as am waiting for northumberland now.
    Angelina

Comment

the only way i have found is to pay for 1 transcript and that lists the whole family.
      **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sue, if you are prepared to spend quite a long time on it, yes, you can. If you put in the first name and surname of the child you have found in the "names of other people in household" and the place where she was living in the "residential place", get the advanced search fields showing and tick "wildcard name" for surname (at the top of the search form) and enter A* for the surname, then you will get anyone in the household whose surname begins with A, then repeat with B* and so on. But like I said, it takes ages.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you want to be ABSOLUTELY certain, it would be sensible to repeat Kite's method with the forenames. I've found children entered without surnames AND babies without forenames, so either could slip through the net. (and I daresay there is at least one household somewhere where the poor little mite hasn't been given either!)
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

i didnt know about that.
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Of course, if the name of the person that you have found is a common one then you might get people from more than one household included in the results.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite, it worked a treat. The child in question was with her parents all the time, plus I found an extra child, though why they didn't show up all together in the original search I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  Sue, if you are prepared to spend quite a long time on it, yes, you can. If you put in the first name and surname of the child you have found in the "names of other people in household" and the place where she was living in the "residential place", get the advanced search fields showing and tick "wildcard name" for surname (at the top of the search form) and enter A* for the surname, then you will get anyone in the household whose surname begins with A, then repeat with B* and so on. But like I said, it takes ages.
                  I've just tried an experiment on the basis that all surnames should have a vowel or a y in them.

If you use Kite's method but instead put *a* then *e* and so on you should still get hits regardless of whether the vowel is at the beginning of the word.

I've just tried it on a couple of mine that I already know who else is in the household, using the letter that I know is at the start of the name and the others came up.

I hope I've explained this properly - perhaps someone else could test it
                  Jackie

Comment

I have also tried this with a family i printed out to see if it worked, and it was bringing up other names who were not in the household. Not sure if its others in the same street or not?
                    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Scrap that, seems as though there is another family in the same place with the same name. Be careful of that one
                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X