John Adam Ross from Aberdeen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Adam Ross from Aberdeen

I'm trying to trace what happened to John Adam Ross. His granddaughter is still alive at 93 and is trying to find out. John Adam Ross was born and baptised October 4 1847 in Aberdeen Scotland. (His parents were William Ross and Jane Marr). John Adam Ross married Elsie Mckenzie on 21 August 1972 in the District of St Nicholas in the borough of Aberdeen.
    In the 1891 census John Adam Ross is mentioned as living in Aberdeen at 59 ??? Grove in the civil parish of Old Machar in the quasad sacra parish of Holburn Aberdeen. Occupation Accountant.
    His wife Elsie and his 6 children are mentioned. The elder son with the same name ie John Adam Ross aged 18 a law apprentice and is someone we are also trying to trace.
    John Adam Ross senior is believed to have gone to the USA and was going to send for the family, but apparently died as his wife Elsie pops up in the 1901 census in Newcastle on Tyne as a widow. Also we don’t know what happened to Arthur Ross (12 in 1891 census) possibly went to Australia post 1918.
    We can’t find death certificates for any of the above.

The reason we are keen to trace them is that John Adam Ross’s granddaughter is still alive aged 93 and would like to find out what happened to them all. Her maiden name is Elsie Mary Williamson born 1915 in Cardiff UK

Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Correction I meant he married in 1872 not 1972!

Comment

Could you tell us which one of John Adam Ross's children was Elsie's parent, please, so we know we don't need to trace that one!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Judkels,
        I am in the middle of dinner just now but your mail caught my eye as I live not far from Aberdeen.
        Could the address be UNION GROVE - I actually lived there in the 1970's.
        Must go but will check in again later.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

1901 - piece - 4782, folio - 35, page - 60

Newcastle upon Tyne

Elsie Ross, 52, head, widow,
          Elsie Mckenzie Ross, 26, dau, board school teacher
          James Adam Ross, 24, son, building society clerk
          Arthur Ross, 21, son, merchant's book keeper
          Mary Cowie Ross, 17, dau, shorthand writer and typist
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yes that is the family. As you can see there is no mention of John Ross - now deceased by 1901 or his older son John. We don't know what happened to them or what happened to Arthur. I'm going to check who our Elsie (the one who's alive and 93) was the daughter of but it must be one of the girls since her maiden name is Elsie Mary Williamson so I'm guessing it was Mary Cowie Ross. I'll check with her.

many thanks for that.

Comment

just checked yes she was the daughter of Mary Cowie Ross.

Comment

Starting with the daughter Elsie McKenzie Ross, she got married in Apr-Jun 1903 in Newcastle to either Joseph Jack or Alfred Yarwood; the other bride was Emily Florence Robson. Elspeth is given as an alternative to Elsie on the index and M'Kenzie as an alternative to McKenzie. I can't figure out which of them she married, though!

There is an Elspet M Ross death Apr-Jun 1923 in Cardiff, age 74, which could be Elsie senior - you mentioned a Cardiff connection, didn't you?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Oh dear, I can't find anyone else. Maybe they'll turn up when Northumberland and Wales 1911 census goes online. The trouble is, there are so many Rosses around it's hard to pick out the right ones!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Our (live) Elsie was Mary Cowie Ross' s daughter and we know what happened to Elsie Mckenzie Ross she died at her daughter Mary ' home Elsie was there! We know all about Elsie Ross who married Joseph Jack and what happened to James Ross. The mystery Elsie is keen to know about is her grandfather John A Ross - did he ever go to America and where and when did he die and of course what happened to her uncles John and uncle Arthur. There is no one left to ask and she says they were never mentioned which she now thinks is odd.
                    Thank you so much for all the help to date.
                    I have also been told by Monica there is a 45 yrs old John A. Ross from Scotland arriving in New York on 5 June 1893 on the Furnessia which might be him Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
                    Page no. 0698, Line 27. John A Ross shows as clerk. So this is another possible link but how to find out when this one died would help as Elsie is listed as a widow in 1901 so presumably he died before that date - or did he just do a runner!

Comment

Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you said you couldn't find death certificates for "any of the above" - I thought you meant all the people that you mentioned. So it is only the two Johns and Arthur whose deaths you are looking for? I think it would be very difficult to pick out the right Arthur Ross unless he had a middle name?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Ancestry has a possible death listed in "New York City deaths, 1892-1902": John Ross age 49 y, date 31 Jul 1898, certificate 21054. No middle name listed, though.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for the information about the new york death. If I try and get a copy of the certificate will it tell me more information ? do you think I will be able to tell if this is our John Adam Ross.
                          In addition another bit of the puzzle has emerged. In the 1891 census there is a younger son Alexander (Mcgregor)Ross aged 6 mentioned at 59 Union Grove Aberdeen and we have a funeral card for him. Alexander died in 1894 December 13 aged 10. On the record it lists his death being at 35 Victoria Street Aberdeen, his father is listed as John Adam Ross - formerly accountant and the informant is listed as John Ross brother and inmate (present). What does this mean? What is the significance of the word inmate?
                          Am I right to assume that the father was not there and the brother was, but is inmate a term for someone in prison or hospital or just in the house?

Comment

I don't think you can assume that the father wasn't there just because the brother registered the death as there could be other reasons. Yes, inmate will just mean he lived in the house in this case. As for the NY death cert, I don't know how much info it would give you but of course it would depend on how much the informant knew about the deceased. It could well be that it gives you enough info to rule him out, though.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

thank you. How do I go about getting a copy of the new york death certifcate?

Comment

Hi Judkels,
                                I would be happy to try to take some pictures of the addresses in Aberdeen, if you would like them.
                                Tomorrow I am away on holiday but if you want any pics, of anywhere in particular, then let me know and I will do it when I can.
                                herky
                                herky

Comment

Originally posted by judkels View Post
                                  thank you. How do I go about getting a copy of the new york death certifcate?

This link to ancestry should give you all the info:
                                  Search New York City Deaths, 1892-1902 - Ancestry.com
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you. Before I spend lots of money on getting certificates I'm going to ask the family again and see if they have more idea about dates and so on. In the meantime I'm trying to find out a bit more about Arthur Ross born June 6 1879 Old Machar aberdeen. On the registration of births there is something about naming later - difficult to read. Can anyone tell me what is says? We think he went to Australia after WW1 but not certain. We can't find a death. On the 1901 census he is mentioned living in Newcastle on Tyne working as a merchant's clerk. RG13 page 4782 folio 35 page 60 schedule 417 . Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comment

Originally posted by judkels View Post
                                      On the registration of births there is something about naming later - difficult to read. Can anyone tell me what is says?

Can you post up that bit of the image, please, and I'll have a go.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

The note at the side of the birth cert refers to the Register of Corrected Entries where the child's christian name has been added "on the authority of a Certificate in the Form of Schedule (D) under the had of the Revd James Smith minister of St George's in the West Church". Dated Sept 5th 1879 at Aberdeen. Signed Jame Valentine Registrar.

It would seem that for some reason either the child was not named at birth registration or the name was omitted in error.

Hope that helps.
                                        Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X