Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get records from a mental hospital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get records from a mental hospital?

I received my gggrandmother's death certificate and she died in 1918 at the Lunatic Asylum in Halton (Hatton?) Warwickshire. Is it possible to get her records? How would I go about getting them?

Debbie

You have to find out which area health authority now holds the records (google) and then usually you have to apply in writing.

You will probably be able to get some details, not all. Usually they send photocopied info with sensitive stuff blacked out - like any details of any other people on the page, etc.

Good luck!

OC

Comment

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records Database | Welcome
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I spent last Saturday reading case notes for a rellie who died in a mental hospital. so yes, in theory it is possible.

It will depend on:
        • whether the records survive and
        • what closure dates are chosen
        In our local archives, they use a cut-off of 100 years.

It may be that if you can prove you are a direct descendant they will let you look at just her records, but you may have to wait a few years.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have seen the notes for my gt grandfather who died in Barming Heath Asylum in Kent in 1932 after spending over 30 years in the hospital.

All I needed were certified birth certificates [not photo-copies] for myself, my father, my grandfather and my great grandfather to show relationship. I sent these off with a letter explaining my requirements to Kent NHS. They sent me a letter [and returned the certificates] waiving the 100 year closure rule and giving me access to to view the records that were held at the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone. The whole process took only a matter of weeks.

Be prepared though as its very harrowing and a warts and all experience reading the records that clearly show your close relatives deeper decline into insanity over the years spent in the hospital.

Comment

I was allowed access to records for someone who died in an asylum in 1931 by the Leics. Record Office, without having to prove a relationship to her.

In another case in Australia, I was asked to prove the relationship with certs.

What Colin says is true - it can be very harrowing.

Comment

I obtained the medical records for my g-grandmother who was in a mental asylum for 20 years until her death in 1941. I didn't have to prove who I was, but did have to get permission from the Local Health Authority and sign a declaration stating that the info for personal use only etc.

The only harrowing thing about her record was that there didn't appear to be anything much wrong with her.

Comment

I got copies of Hatton Asylum records from Warwicks RO. I had to pay someone in the RO to find them and what I got was a mixture of transcriptions, photocopies and a digital photo. The perod was 1869 - 1874 so don't know whether they have records for the period you are interested in.

I paid on a time taken basis and I think it was about £25.

County Record Office - Welcome - Warwickshire Web

Comment

My grandfather died in Shenley Hospital, a mental asylum in 1966 and I always thought I wouldn't be able to get the records, but maybe I will try now. He was first admitted in 1939 but I'm not sure where. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudicca View Post
                    My grandfather died in Shenley Hospital, a mental asylum in 1966 and I always thought I wouldn't be able to get the records, but maybe I will try now. He was first admitted in 1939 but I'm not sure where. Thanks for the information.
                    Hi Boudicca.
                    did you get anywhere with the Shenley hospital records? A long while ago I know, but I'm now looking for the same myself.

Comment

Originally posted by skippydog View Post
                      Hi Boudicca.
                      did you get anywhere with the Shenley hospital records? A long while ago I know, but I'm now looking for the same myself.
                      Boudicca hasn't been on the site for some time. You could send her a Private Message by clicking on her name and following the link. She should then get an e-mail telling her that you have left a message for her. As long as she hasn't changed her e-mail address and has her settings to receive notification.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                      X