Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census - more kids!

hi,

having bought the original image for 2nd great grandparents and sat and studied it, i have come across a big thing i didnt know about.....more kids!

now the problem is they are not named and 1 is not alive. i had 10 children listed to them, census said there was 12. 7 alive and 5 dead. i have 4 of the 5 that are dead.

where do i start looking for these 2 other children? 2nd great grandparents came from ireland and moved to west rainton, durham in 1871. this is where the family stayed until the 1960's.
    Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 17-03-09, 13:11.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I have the same problem Amy. Two children born and died that I knew nothing about. As yet I have not found any that seem to fit!!!

Good luck in your search.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Have you got an unusual gap between births that might give you an idea of when they were born.

I had a gap of 6 years in one of my families, that were having children every 2 years, they were born and died between the census.

Sylvia
      Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 17-03-09, 13:29.
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
      Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
      Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

This seems to be quite a common theme. I wonder if one or more of these missing children was stillborn or miscarried well into the pregnancy? If I had such children and was asked to list all my births I would definately include these little mites that were never registered. 'Official' people would discount them but they would always be in my heart.

Anne

Comment

hadnt thought about still births etc.

as for gaps, there was a yr from date of marriage to 1st, 2nd was a yr later, 3rd was 3ys later (maybe here?), 4th 2yrs later, 5th a yr later, 6th 2yrs later, 7th 1yr later, 8th 2yrs later, 9th 2yrs later and 10th 2yrs later.

the problem comes because i dont know if born in ireland or durham. may have to do a birth search from when they came to durham and see what i can find.

Comment

It does state 'born living' on the form, but perhaps some didn't follow that.
            It won't be an easy task to find them, especially if they don't have a rare surname.
            Tracy

Comment

i think i may have found 1 of them - born 1885 died 1889, wont know for sure until i get the cert.

as for the 1 that would still be living i have no idea unless in the gap between 2 and 3 and stayed in ireland!

surname is lackey, there isnt many up in the durham area, most of births after 1871 i can account for as either children or grandchildren etc of my 2nd great grandparents. but there are a few earlier 1s when my line was still in ireland that i cant link.

Comment

is this your 1901?
                Robert Lackey 55
                Mary J Lackey 57
                James Lackey 29
                Elizabeth Lackey 26
                John J Lackey 24
                Gardiner Lackey 19
                Julia A Lackey 17 29 APR 1883 West Rainton, Durham, England
                Martha J Lackey 2
                James Lackey 8

There is a William on the IGI
                Birth: 03 JAN 1879 Christening: 26 JAN 1879 West Rainton, Durham, England
                Parents:
                Father: Robert Lackey Mother: Mary Jane
                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-03-09, 13:55.
                Jess

Comment

yep thats my lot. william is william francis, and he died in 1891. the other kids i know of are

margaret born 1867 ire, married by 1901
                  thomas jackson born 1868 ire
                  robert born 1873 durham, died 1893
                  sarah born 1877 durham married by 1901

Comment

Might help with finding them

1 Margaret Jane Lackey 1868 Ireland((Birth: 14 AUG 1867 0548, Killyleagh, Down, Ireland))
                    2 Thomas J. Lackey 1869 Ireland (Birth: 22 DEC 1868 , Down, Ireland)
                    3 James Lackey 1872 Quarrington Hill, Durham
                    4 Robert Lackey 1873 West Rainton, Durham
                    5 Elizabeth Lackey 1875 West Rainton
                    6 John J. Lackey 1877 West Rainton,
                    7 Sarah Lackey 1878 West Rainton
                    8 William F. Lackey 1879 West Rainton
                    9 Gardiner Lackey 1882 West Rainton
                    10 Julia Anne Lackey 1883 West Rainton

There is an 1885 George Alexander who dies in 1889 aged 3
                    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-03-09, 14:14.
                    Jess

Comment

thanks jess.

i have just ordered birth cert for a george alexander born 1885 who died in 1889, so not on any census. if he is mine, he makes the 5th child that died.

if he is mine, i still only have 11 and 6 living. i cant find any other birth that fits around the dates of existing children unless 1 of them was a twin.

thing i find strange is that they named 1 of boys after his dad, robert. but none of the girls after mum, mary. therefore i am inclined to think that the missing child maybe a mary.

Comment

Also a birth could have been twins - one lived, one stillborn.
                        (I have an instance of this, recorded in the bp register.)

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Maybe Thomas Jackson was ''for mother''
                          Jess

Comment

2 of the sons had jackson as middle name so maybe. i'm not ruling out any options at the moment.

plan of action is to go through all births and see if any match the exact quarter and year of the births i have. i know i am definately looking for some1 that was alive in 1911, so for every birth listed i am going to have to look for a matching death as it were.

Comment

You could start by looking for deaths, couldn't you? Though that plan hasn't helped much in finding my missing one but that's just because the surname I'm looking for is so common.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

have you located where robert and mary jane are buried?
                                a family friend went on holiday to europe last year, and visited yorkshire, found my great grandmother's shared grave with her parents and took photo's of it.
                                it was a four sided cross with inscriptions on each side. my pop had taken photo's in the 5o's, but of only the sides mentioning his mother and grandparents. the other two sides mentioned two children who had lived between the census, who we would never have known about. it also stated they were buried in a different cemetary.

maybe if you can find the most likely burial place, you might get lucky?

Comment

just found 1871 ! you may already have it - was just trying to establish when they came over
                                  : Class: RG10; Piece: 4968; Folio: 7; Page: 7; GSU roll: 847430.

Robert Lockey 23 Ireland
                                  Marty Jane Lockey 25 Ireland
                                  Margaret Jane Lockey 3 Ireland
                                  Thomas Jackson Lockey 2 Ireland
                                  James Lockey 10 months Pittington, Durham,

So, is that another James, or the same one as later reports born 1872?

could be.....Quarrington registers under Durham

Births Jun 1870
                                  Lackey James Durham 10a 430

Deaths Jun 1871
                                  Lackey James 0 Durham 10a 249

Births Dec 1871
                                  Lackey James Durham 10a 393
                                  Last edited by Jessbowbag; 18-03-09, 07:49.
                                  Jess

Comment

no i didnt have the 1871 census, i hadnt found them. thank you. james listed as 1871 is the same as the 1 listed as 1872. i am in contact with his granddaughter and have a full DOB and copy of cert.

as for grave robert and mary are burried in st mary's churchyard west rainton and i do have photos of it. there are no others listed on it amd there are no other family members in this or the overspill across the road although living relies say there are. the thing that puzzles me is most of the churchyard is overgrown/has broken dirty headstones etc yet robert and marys was freshly weeded and really shiny when we visted it last aug. the living relis dont live anywhere near and dont drive either and have all said have seen the grave since the 1970s. i contacted the church by post and email and got no reply. but some1 is looking after it.

as for the death i'm not sure. i will keep anote of it until geaorge cert arrives incase george is mine and that means that i will have all the dead!
                                    Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 18-03-09, 08:37.

Comment

just re-read your post and see there is a birth and death and then another birth, that would make sense as the 1 born dec 1871 was actually oct and the 1 i mention above as having cert for.

i will wait for geaorge b4 i go buying more certs (got bills to pay).

Comment

if your James birth cert says he's born Oct 1871, he wont have been alive to be recorded on the 1871 ( will he?)

I am supposing she was pregnant with 2nd James at the time of 1871 census, after which James 1 died and James II was born.
                                        Jess

Comment

Working...
                                        X