Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pictures of houses

hi,

i know there has been threads b4 on taking pictures of houses of where relatives lived etc but i cant find any of them now.

what is the best way to go about getting pictures of houses? would i be best to find out if the house still exists today and send them them a letter asking if they could take 1 for me? or just ask some1 locally on here if they would mind trying tog et 1 for me?

the reason i'm asking is that i was told my "family" all stayed as a family unit in 1 house (which i have pics of) for just under 100yrs - 1872-1960. well the 1911 census has showed that 2nd great grandparents stayed there but most of their children moved to houses in the surrounding villages and then as 2nd great grandparents died 1 or other of the children moved in until the 1960's.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I would first of all try googling the address, then search for it on Google Image search, then search on Flickr to see if it comes up on any of those. If you post up the address or PM it to me I could have a try at searching to see if I can find a picture of it via any of those searches.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Also if you find out the postcode then google that separately. Most estate agent sites list houses by postcode and not the address and you might be lucky if it is/was for sale recently.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

thanks very much.

Comment

You could look on the Wiki and see if any FTF member has volunteered to take local photos.

Anne

Comment

the one i use is leodis its houses in yorkshire though brenda xxx

Comment

Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds - Display
              hope this helps its yorkshire though brenda xxx

Comment

Some kind people have sent me photos through this site. BTW is it on the Wiki? It ought to be, but if not maybe someone cleverer than me could put it there?

Genealogy Photos Service

Comment

i wasnt sure where abouts on wiki the ppl who have volunteered to take pics was listed. the 3 houses i'm after are in durham area.

Comment

The link I posted in the previous post is for the whole country as well as some other countries. I think you have to register and offer to do the same for other people. That's what I did anyway. So far I have only had one request but it was interesting to follow up

EDIT Sorry - I just took a look and there doesn't seem to be a volunteer in Durham :(
                    Last edited by Trina; 17-03-09, 13:43.

Comment

The estate agent tip is worth a try.
                      About a year ago I was browsing addresses from my childhood and I was so pleased to find my grandparent's house schedule on the web.
                      The house was very different from how I remember it, due to modernisation, but now I have all the details, pictures and floor plans. It takes me back to many happy times when I was quite small as the memories had faded about the house.
                      I was just lucky that the house was for sale at exactly the same time as I was searching - or perhaps it was meant to be......:D
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Redacted
                        Last edited by Penelope; 17-03-09, 14:21.

Comment

it is nice if you can get photos. the house that 2nd grt grandparents lived in, i do now have a photo. i wrote a letter to the new occupier explaining who i was etc, included my website link and a copy of the tree, all i asked was for them to take a photo and send back to me in prepaid envelope. the response was only a few words "i dont think so".

anyway i contacted the local family history group and they knew the ppl that lived there and they were able to get a picture for me as they told the owner that they wanted it for the village archives as it was where the village boot & shoemaker had lived. they sis put it into the village display of some sort as well.

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                            i wasnt sure where abouts on wiki the ppl who have volunteered to take pics was listed.
                            Volunteers are listed on the County pages - towards bottom of page.
                            Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X