Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradshaw

Hi all,

i have a john bradshaw, who married amplias? john was born in 1836 birmingham and amplias born birmingham 1835 their children were

amplias
    john
    william
    sarah
    ruth
    mary h

all born in tipton staffordshire, they were canal boat people

i am hoping that someone can find john's parents or siblings or anything to do with amplias we know nothing about her other than john and her children, i also can not find anything on their son john?

if anyone can help i would be very gratefull

thanks kmt

maybe them in 1871

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2852; Folio: 23; Page: 39; GSU roll: 836380.

All family here in Burslem

Comment

when was the first child born please?
      that will give us an idea of when they might have married

OK, answered that
      Amplias Jnr born 1860
      Jess

Comment

I think I saw John's family (parents etc) on the census yesterday but as your other thread said you were just trying to find out about Amplias I didn't bother to mention it, assuming you already had his side of the family. I'll have another look and see if I can find them again.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
          when was the first child born please?
          that will give us an idea of when they might have married
          Jess, there is another thread on here about Amplias, and I think if I remember rightly, their first child was Amplias jr born 1860 but we had a look for the marriage yesterday and drew a blank. Amplias jr's birth cert would help with that. I'll see if I can find the other thread...
          KiteRunner

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...-can-help.html
            KiteRunner

Comment

Maybe them in 1841
              Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1136; Book: 18; Civil Parish: Harborough Magna; County: Warwickshire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: ; Page: 11; Line: 16; GSU roll: 464175.

Name Age
              Edward Bradshaw 40
              Mary Bradshaw 35
              John Bradshaw 6
              James Bradshaw 6
              Hannah Bradshaw 11 Mo

Comment

in 1891.. showing in Hillingdon, Middx
                Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1019; Folio 54; Page 50; GSU roll: 6096129.
                Name Age
                John Bradshaw 59
                Amplia Bradshaw 55
                Prichard Davis

Comment

hi all, sorry for the other thread i'm just trying to find anything about john and amplias that can be found, i think they both come from canal boat families so any info is great.

thank you all for helping

kmt

Comment

just a thought, born 1830's , first child born early 1860's...strikes me as quite a late marriage ( married quite late I mean) OK, so they were still only in their mid 20's, but might be worth considering that she might have been married before.

Blowed if i can spot them together in 1861

( just hanging onto this a min - not the Commonest name)
                    Births Mar 1859
                    TATE Amplias Apelles Stourbridge 6c 178

Scrap that - SON of James & Lucy!
                    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-03-09, 09:01.
                    Jess

Comment

amplias the daughter married a george canvin, but i have searched and searched for the elder amplias and she is a blank

kmt

Comment

Could this be them 1861
                        Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2130; Folio: 93; Page: 32; GSU roll: 542922.

Name Age
                        John Bradshaw 50
                        Sarah Bradshaw 43
                        William Bradshaw 20
                        Joseph Bradshaw 15
                        Henry Bradshaw 13
                        Edward Bradshaw 11
                        Robert Bradshaw 9
                        Sarah Bradshaw 7
                        Ruth Bradshaw 5

No Amplia on this tho

Comment

i have seen that one before allen, but i don't think it is the same family?

kmt

Comment

It could be that John and Amplias dd marry buy the record hasn't reached the GRO index, or, maybe they never married. Either way, if you buy a birth cert for one of their children you will discover Amplias' maiden name. As she has an unusual first name you may well be able to carry on with your research of her family without the benefit of having her father's name and occupation, as it may be completely obvious who she is once you know her maiden surname.

Comment

This was the 1871 census entry for John and Amplias:

Burslem Wharf, Burslem
                              John Bradshaw Head Mar 35 Captain Warwicksh Birmingham
                              Amplias Do Wife Mar 36 Do's Wife Do Do
                              Amplias Do Daur 11 Staffordsh Tipton
                              John Do Son 8 Do Do
                              Sarah S Do Daur 5 Do Do
                              William Do Son 4 Do Do
                              Ruth Do Daur 1 1/2 Do Do

Now to see if I really found John's family before that...
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Oh yes, I thought this was a possible for John on the 1851:
                                Boat on the canal, Limits of the Castle, Nottingham:
                                John Bradshaw ? of Owner U 16(?) Boatman Warwicksh Hockley Heath

Nobody else listed in the "household" and unfortunately his age has thick lines over it.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

thank you for that kiterunner

kmt

Comment

There is a John Bradshaw baptism on the IGI, born 12 Oct 1835, baptised 27 Mar 1837 St Phillips, Birmingham, parents John and Sarah, so that family which Alan found above (on the 1861) could be your John's parents and siblings. I think that's the family I saw yesterday:

Back of 84 Edward Street, Ladywood, Birmingham:
                                    John Bradshaw Head Mar 50 Boat Man Alrewas Staff
                                    Sarah Do Wife Mar 48 Do Do
                                    William Bradshaw Son Un 20 Boat Man Birmingham Warwicksh
                                    Joseph Do Son 15 Caster Do
                                    Henry Do Son 13 Caster Do
                                    Edward Do Son 11 Caster Do
                                    Robert Do Son 9 Scholar Do
                                    Sarah Do Daur 7 Scholar Do
                                    Ruth Do Daur 5 Scholar Do

I'll see if I can find them on any other census...
                                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 17-03-09, 10:32. Reason: occupations
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oh yes, and this is them in 1851, including a son John, so maybe that John I found in Nottingham isn't yours because I bet this one is (because of the other names in this family matching some of the names of John and Amplias's children):
                                      Nelson St., Ladywood, Birmingham
                                      John Bradshaw Head Mar 42 Boatman Alrewas Staffs
                                      Sarah Do Wife 40 Not Known
                                      Mary Do Daur U 16 Servant Birmingham
                                      John Do Son U 14 Boat Boy Do
                                      Hannah Do Daur U 12 Scholar Do
                                      William Do Son 10 Do Weston Staffs
                                      Joseph Do Son 5 Do Barton Chester
                                      Henry Do Son 3 Gnosal Staffs
                                      Edward Do Son 1 Birmingham

Of course we still need something to prove for definite whether this is your John.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KMT

I don't know if this will help at all, but I have a cd of various data produced about boat families in the Midlands which was sold as a fund raiser for Staffordshire Records Office. It has both baptism and marriage data as well as census info and boat inspections. If you would like to borrow the CD for a while, just send me a PM and I am sure it can be arranged. I would offer to look it up for you, but it is sometimes easier and quicker if you know the family you are looking for.
                                        Helen
                                        Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Working...
                                        X