Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so sorry, but need help finding someone again please

Merry, don't you dare go for a coffee!!

Benjamin Kay is the name, Middlesborough is the game. Absolutely ANY census would be brilliant. He was an Iron Worker, but as I only have his name on a birth certificate for his son then his date of birth is a mere guess...... perhaps 1880-1890.

He married Jane Lowery in September 1900, and almost immediately (I'm talking days here) afterwards she gave birth to a boy, James Percival Kay..........sadly he died shortly after birth. In 1901 Jane is back with Mummy and Daddy, and there is no sign of Benjamin her new husband. I have checked the death register and he is not there.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Sally have had quick look on tees valley indexes but carnt see out on there for him either ';;;

The Tees Valley Indexes contain birth death and marriage records for Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland Register Offices.
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thank you for that Babs - this is most odd, but then the whole family is odd. Because of this, I was a little suspicious for a while because Jane's father is a Benjamin.........however after finding her marriage etc. I could breath a sigh of relief
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Im wondering if Sue over the road knows out she is a Kay by marriage so will ask her later< I carnt even find his on ancestry but its changed on this lappy for some reason so Im all over the place ;;

Comment

Babs, these Kays are a nightmare! They belong to my brother in law, and are a constant story of illegitimacy; desertion; and other more dubious carryings on.........all great fun and far more interesting than my own lot.

I am trying to establish that Benjamin Kay was the son of either John William Kay and Georgiana Percival Stephenson, or Thomas William Kay, John's son.

I can't find him on Ancestry either, which is why I am begging for help

Comment

Well know Sue has done quite bit of the tree so will ask her she is member on here but doesnt come on much now as she has fell mout with this hobby lol

Comment

Sorry Sal , she didnt do that side of tree as her hubby was adopted by the Kays so she stopped when they were trying to find his real parents but then they split up;;;never mind was worth phone call to her

Comment

Originally posted by sally View Post
                ....however after finding her marriage etc. I could breath a sigh of relief
                Do you have the cert?

In 1901, there is a Ben Kay c1866 Hunslet, living in Ormesby - which is in Middlesbrough. He is an Iron Moulder.
                He is married to Emily though!
                Last edited by Orangeblossom; 16-03-09, 20:52.
                Tracy

Comment

Hi Tracy,
                  I only have the birth cert for Benjamin's son, James (who didn't live). I have the date for Benjamin's marriage to Jane which is just before James's birth. I was hoping to avoid having to send for this marriage cert because I have spent a fair amount on this lot already and it's not even my family.
                  Yes, Benjamin was an Iron worker and at the time of his son's birth was living at 7 Derwent Street, Middlesborough. It would not surprise me in the least if he had been married before, or even if he was a bigamist!!! However, there are several B. Kays

That one you found would have been 14 at the birth of his son tho

Comment

Thank you Babs - it would have been great if your neighbour had been the same line!!

Comment

Theres a death for Jane A Kay in 1904 pass on the age as doesnt tell you on TVI

Comment

Yes would have saved bit of time for you lol she has just been over giving me what bit she knows but only goes back to FIL and then guesses so not lot use to you
                        Last edited by borobabs; 16-03-09, 21:50.

Comment

Thanks again Babs - that might be the Jane in question, but unless I can establish that Benjamin is in fact part of the line I am researching then I really don't want to follow things up. Please say thank you to your neighbour for her time

I may well have to bite the bullet and send for the marriage cert, in the hope that Benjamin gave some info on his father

Comment

Have to turn off now for the night. If anyone can help, I will be back tomorrow night and be very very grateful!

Comment

The rest of Yorkshire has appeared on the 1911 census this moring.....so, there's good news and bad really!!

From the 1901 Jane Kay was b 1881 in Whitby (not Whitley as transcribed by Ancestry!)

In 1911 there is a Jane Kay b Whitby in 1881 living in Middlesbrough, and she is def the same person (read on). The first bit of bad news is that she is head of household! The people named Kay living with her are:

Benjamin aged 9
                              Henry 4
                              Ada Elizabeth 2

Here's the proof it's the right Jane:

Also in the household is Mary Elizabeth Robinson aged 36, b Whitby. She shows up as relationship to head - sister. So she is the Mary Elizabeth Wright who was a widow with the Lowrey family in 1901. It seems she married soon after the 1901 census:

Marriages Jun 1901
                              Robinson Albert Edward Middlesbro' 9d 1071 <<<<<<<<<<<
                              SHARP John William Middlesbro' 9d 1071
                              Smith Emilie Annie Middlesbro' 9d 1071
                              Wright Mary Elizabeth Middlesbro' 9d 1071 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There don't seem to be any Robinson children with them though.

I can't find Mary Elizabeth's son William George H Wright under Wright or Robinson and I can't find her husband as there are loads of Albert Robinsons!

I can't tell the marital status of these two women from the index. Jane might be (or might be calling herself) a widow or she might not! There are two Benjamin Kays in Middlesbrough. One is her son and the other is that Ben Kay who I think was mentioned before (b 1866)
                              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 17-03-09, 10:48.

Comment

Ben Kay b 1866 is still with Emily and has five children still at home, the youngest b 1906 is unfortunately named, May Kay! lol

and back to Jane:

After 1911 there are no children indexed with surname Kay and mmn Lowrey (tried various spellings)
                                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 17-03-09, 10:53.

Comment

Thank you for all your efforts Merry (and WHERE is my email telling me that North Yorks is on 1911??!!! - will go there post haste).

So, Benjamin remains a total mystery then, although his wife Jane seems to have produced three further children after the death of her first. Perhaps he called himself something else on the censuses, but stuck to his real name for his marriage and the birth of his first son?

Anyway, it is clear that I will have to send for his marriage cert and hope that it throws some light on the problem. I am beginning to hate this particular family!

Comment

Working...
                                  X