Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you use an online transcription....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you use an online transcription....

how often do you check where it comes from?

Fudge's mention of OPCs sent me back to Dorset. The transcriptions for the village I am interested in are from BTs. This is quite reasonable, since most of the early registers do not survive, but there is no mention of this. There are several events that I have recorded from the parish registers which do not appear in the BTs.

In Freereg for Norfolk, it occurred to me to check where that information came from. For the parishes I am interested in, they have used Archdeacons Transcripts. Again, no problem... except that in Norfolk you also need to look at the Bishop's Transcripts as these were taken approximately every six years and the two series of transcripts do not overlap.

It is only by knowing what OUGHT to be there that I can spot what is missing. It worries me that I hadn't thought to check Freereg before now.

I know that you are always taught to go back to the originals and look at them for yourself, but I suspect that lots of us will miss lots of clues, simply because we didn't realise that they are missing.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Phoenix

I went to LDS in London on Saturday and checked a lot of stuff I'd found online from Freereg for Norfolk. Made interesting reading. Some of the dates (not the years, but the day and month) were completely different! Scary!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have noticed that LAN-OPC normally say exactly where the transcript came from.

Quite a few are transcribed from LDS films, but I have noticed one or two errors of transcription (because I know the family and know what it ought to say)

OC

Comment

Working...
      X