Mystery Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Challenge

This is in my local paper (Nottingham Evening Post) today; let's see if we can solve it. If we do, I'll send our answer in and hope they give our site a mention!

This is the inscription on a gravestone in Redhill Cemetery, Arnold, Nottinghamshire, but what is the local connection with these people?

In memory of Catherine Macleod born 1888 at Garyvard, Lochs, Isle of Lewis U.K. died 1928 at Melbourne, Australia aged 39 years, Neil Macleod snr born 1884 at Stornoway, Isle of Lewis U.K. died 1941 at sea by enemy action age 57 years, Isobel Graham Macleod born 1927 at Melbourne, Australia died 1949 at Blackpool, U.K. age 22 years.

(I expect Catherine was Neil's wife and so would have a different surname at birth, but this is just a guess! Maybe she wasn't his wife at all!)
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 16-03-09, 17:43.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Okay, I'm already confused! There is what looks to be an entry for Neil on the CWGC site but his age is given as 53, not 57. Able seaman, Merchant Navy, S.S. Michael E (London), date of death 9 Jun 1941, King's Commendation for Brave Conduct. Son of John and Catherine Macleod; husband of Kate Macleod. Awarded Lloyd's War Medal for bravery at sea.
    KiteRunner

Comment

Can't see Neil in 1891 census.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        Can't see Neil in 1891 census.
        Isn't that him aged 6 with mum Catherine 40 and brother Norman 11? Did you remember to look at Scotland? (well, I never remember if it's Wales!)

Comment

1901 - Neil McLeod c1885, Stornoway (Lewis), Rossshire
          Living Craig, Angus.
          Tailor's Apprentice.
          Relationship as 'Inmate' at Rossie Reformatory.

Able Seaman NEIL MACLEOD SNR
          Last address in Lewis: 12 Battery Park Road, Stornoway
          Son of John and Catherine Macleod; husband of Kate Macleod.
          Service: Merchant Navy
          Medals and awards: King's Commendation for Brave Conduct and Lloyd's War Medal for bravery at sea.
          Date of death: 9 June 1941 at the age of 53
          Died of wounds after SS Michael E was sunk by U-108
          Memorial: Tower Hill, panel 70
          Local memorial: Lewis War Memorial

(from http://lewiswwar2.blogspot.com/2008/...ornabhagh.html)

Neil McLeod born 20 Jun 1884, married 2 Dec 1916, Catherine Mary McKenzie, born 16 May 1885, (daughter of Norman McKenzie and Catherine Campbell) died 25 Sep 1955, Warrnambool. Neil died 19 Jun 1949, Warrnambool.
          (from http://www.geocities.com/merinotech2...nielmcleod.htm) Actually, this is probably the wrong one.
          Last edited by Orangeblossom; 16-03-09, 19:24.
          Tracy

Comment

There's a Neil Macleod in Stornoway age 6 (1891) with mother Catherine and 3 brothers here
            Parish: Stornoway; ED: 4; Page: 10; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1891_24; Year: 1891.

edit - I'm too slow!
            Sue

Comment

1891 - Catherine MacLeod, c1889. Living 5 Garyvard, Lochs, Ross. Might be her?
              Tracy

Comment

Neil McLeod born 20 Jun 1884, married 2 Dec 1916, Catherine Mary McKenzie, born 16 May 1885, (daughter of Norman McKenzie and Catherine Campbell) died 25 Sep 1955, Warrnambool. Neil died 19 Jun 1949, Warrnambool.
                I'm a bit confused by the above....so much fits, except for the death dates and place for Neil.

Comment

I notice he is recorded as Neil senr, suggesting he had a son called Neil too.

Is Arnold in Notts famous for anything?

Comment

I'm confused by it too, Merry.

All I know about Arnold is we used to go to an indoor play centre there when the kids were small and I went to a concert at the tiny theatre there once. Don't think it's famous for anything.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Neil Snr, Isobel and Neil Jnr aged 6 are on a passenger list from Brisbane to London in 1929.
                      Wonder if Neil Jnr settled in Arnold, which I don't think is famous for ANYTHING!!
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

ann, that's what I was thinking (except I didn't know Neil jr existed! lol)

Googling doesnt seem to be helping.

Would the cemetery at Arnold be used for Nottingham people or specifically those from Arnold?

Comment

Just local to the Arnold area I would think because there is a north Nottingham cemetery as well.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I would imagine the cemetery would have a record of who paid for it?
                            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The newspaper piece doesn't suggest it's an impossible challenge, so I wonder is it something that older local people would all know about or something like that, rather than something "researchable"?

*cancels sub to Nottingham Evening Post* :(

*sends Kite to Arnold's local pub for info.....*

Comment

You wouldn't want to be going to most of Arnold's pubs!

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                                  You wouldn't want to be going to most of Arnold's pubs!
                                  Maybe not, but we are sending Kite, so that's OK!

Comment

The proposed address listed on the passenger list is Slip House, South Beach, Stornaway.

I wonder how long they were there. If Isabel died in Blackpool, I wonder if she was on holiday or was living there. What happened to Neil Jnr? I looked at British Phone books on Ancestry, but nothing jumped out at me.
                                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                                      Neil Snr, Isobel and Neil Jnr aged 6 are on a passenger list from Brisbane to London in 1929.
                                      Wonder if Neil Jnr settled in Arnold, which I don't think is famous for ANYTHING!!
                                      I notice (now I have perfected the spelling of MacLeod!) they said they were heading for Stornaway (Slip House, South beach) not Nottingham!

Comment

Yes, but that was YEARS before. "You wouldn't......" was probably a bit "Nottingham talk", so sorry to any Southerners, lol!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X