Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone visiting the National Archives soon...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone visiting the National Archives soon...?

Dear All,

I've just come across this reference on the TNA site:
    Detecting your browser settings

[Quite why it says 'detecting your browsing settings', I'm not sure!]

My gg-grandfather and his uncle worked for the British Seamless Steel Tube company and went to St Petersburg, Russia in 1901 (and perhaps later in 1908) to do some work there. From 1893 the uncle was manager and earning a whopping £10 per week.

If anyone is going and has any spare time (unlikely, I know :D) then I'd be very grateful for an idea of whether William Micklewright or Herbert Ashman are mentioned...also an idea of how big the document is and whether it is worth getting a copy.

Many thanks for reading!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

I don't know the relevant Companies Acts, to know exactly the sort of info you'd find, but I would yhink it would just be names of directors & shareholders and possibly details of profits and/or reason it was wound up.

Interesting to get a feel of a company, but unlikely to yield employee details.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Don't know if this info is any use to you, ie part of your family but noticed some family members worked in metal and ironwork so there could be a link

George MICKLEWRIGHT\Hannah TATE (MRIN:762)

Comment

Thanks Phoenix & Lorraine - there's no obvious link to George but interesting nonetheless. And your thoughts on what is likely to be in the document are helpful too. Thanks again
        Kind regards,
        William

Comment

You can google the Registrar of Companies and enter the name of the company and you should be told who bought it out or when it closed. Were either of the two ancestors, company officials, if they were they may well be on the list.

You could try looking on the register of trades, or perhaps they were honoured with service to industry perhaps, did an OBE come their way?

Edit:

Tried the ROC route and its no longer on the list, therefore I am not sure they will hold accessible info now.
          Last edited by LorraineJ; 16-03-09, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
            You can google the Registrar of Companies and enter the name of the company and you should be told who bought it out or when it closed. Were either of the two ancestors, company officials, if they were they may well be on the list.

You could try looking on the register of trades, or perhaps they were honoured with service to industry perhaps, did an OBE come their way?

Edit:

Tried the ROC route and its no longer on the list, therefore I am not sure they will hold accessible info now.
            You could send them an enquiry. here's the link: Contact Us
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lorraine & John,
              thanks for this suggestion - I'll follow it up asap.
              Kind regards,
              William

Comment

Working...
              X