Online Parish Clerks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Parish Clerks

How many of us use the Online Parish Clerks site's.

I'm always searching around on the Dorset site found here, just go to the bottom and you will find the OPC for some more counties in England & Wales.

Dorset OPC

Oh for one in Yorkshire

Cheers

Fudgie

Me, absolutely all the time! Would be stumped without LAN-OPC site although it has been having a few tantrums lately.

OC

Comment

I'm on the Dorset Mailing list and I can't count the people that don't know of their existence when they ask for look ups.

Cheers

Fudgie

Comment

I think the Dorset OPC is the best one there is, unless anyone knows different??? :D

Comment

When I first started on this lark, I sent a speculative email to the OPC for a Cornish parish asking if she could give me some information about my great-grandma.

She replied the next day with 3 pages on gt gran, her siblings, parents, their parents etc all the way back to 1650, quoting parish baptisms, marriages and burials and even giving me census info!

so yes, I'm a big fan!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There isn't one for any of the counties I'm mainly interested in :(

I do have a few people in Manchester, but not in the periods currently covered by the LPC.

Comment

I use the Lancashire OPC all the time.
              However, if they can't get any more records from the area that is now Cumbria, I've probably got all I can get. That will be sad.

I have used the Cornwall OPC with great success by emailing and must go back and see if there is more online.

I've tried a couple of others without much success.

Comment

The OPC idea was conceived first in Cornwall, and then it spread to other counties. My OH is an OPC for some Cornish parishes.
                Joy

Comment

Cornwall OPC has heaps on transcribed info online. I love it.
                  Kit

Comment

The Dorset OPC is brilliant and I love it with 'over 1.1 million individual records' to choose from.

Cheers

Fudgie

Comment

I`m ashamed to say I have only just heard of this by looking at your thread....so I googled OPC and evidently it was started in 2000 by 3 men having a pint in a Cornish pub....and has escalated ....I have just been on Lancashire OPC and sad to say Garston is not yet recorded....without sounding silly....is there somewhere I can leave a message to be informed when Garston and Hale Village are put online ? or do you have to keep regularly visiting Lancs OPC ??....regards...allan:o
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                        I`m ashamed to say I have only just heard of this by looking at your thread....so I googled OPC and evidently it was started in 2000 by 3 men having a pint in a Cornish pub....and has escalated ....I have just been on Lancashire OPC and sad to say Garston is not yet recorded....without sounding silly....is there somewhere I can leave a message to be informed when Garston and Hale Village are put online ? or do you have to keep regularly visiting Lancs OPC ??....regards...allan:o
                        Hi Alan

Then I would email them and ask if there is any records for Garston waiting to be put online, if there is you may like to do the job yourself, what better way to get the info you require.

This thread has now brought what I wanted, to let other researchers know of its existence, just one makes it worth the effort!!

Cheers

Fudgie

Comment

Working...
                        X