Help finding grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding grandfather

I'm trying to find my paternal grandfather. I went home at lunchtime and the 2 long awaited certs from Scotlands people had arrived but they haven't helped me at all and don't know what to do next. I have very limited info; his name and an idea when he was born from his marriage cert to my Gran. he was scottish and returned to scotland after my dad was born.

I ordered the only death in Glasgow for the name I have, unfortunatly it is not my grandfather.

I had also ordered as a back up my father's half brother's birth cert as I thought this would help tracing the first marriage - it has but they married in England not scotland so the English marriage cert won't tell me anymore than I know as I know his father's father's name and his occupation.

I have credits on Scotlands People but no idea what to look for now

I haven't posted his name as he was born in about 1912 and as I'm not 100% sure he is dead thought I'd leave it out.

All suggestions welcomed

Clare
    Clare

If it was me I would still get the other marriage cert as you don't know what's on it if you don't get it!

Comment

Have you already tried looking for a birth which has matching father's name? Then you could check if the father's occupation is correct.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I don't understand your question Kiterunner:o

I have my dad's BC, his half brother's BC and grandparents marriage cert the occupation on all of them for him is similar electrical welder/electrical fitter.

Merry, I'm ordering the marriage cert as we speak!
        Clare

Comment

Sorry, what I was trying to say is, you know your grandfather's name and you say you have an idea of when he was born, you know he was Scottish, and you have his father's name and occupation from your grandparents' marriage certificate, so I was wondering whether you had searched for your grandfather's birth registration - if you find a likely one then you would be able to check that his father's name and occupation match the ones on your grandfather's marriage cert.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ah! I see I have searched yes but there are so many matches for the name, surname being Taylor, there are som many possibles adn I can't see a way of narrowing them down :(
            Clare

Comment

Just had a thought, would it help if I got the first wife's death certificate? I know she died between 1943 and 1951, would it tell me anything useful? Again this would be in Scotland.

Clare
              Clare

Comment

Scottish death certificates contain a lot more information than English ones. And the images on ScotlandsPeople go up to 1958 (just checked).
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ohh thank you UJ, I'll look tonight, unfortunately I'm guessing Mary Taylor will be a common name!
                  Clare

Comment

I found her really easily! I'm not sure it helps me find my grandfather but he was living in London when she died, so perhaps they were separated

And I have his signature to which I never seen before, so 6 credits well spent

Not sure it helps me find his birth or death but useful none the less I think
                    Last edited by claretaylor22; 16-03-09, 18:51. Reason: correcting typo
                    Clare

Comment

I found him!

I managed to find him! :D

I for no reason at all searched a Taylor/Robinson marriage (robinson being my Dad's middle name and we'd thought it was his mother's mother's maiden name) and I found a perfect match and a child born soon after fitting the name perfectly! he lied on his marriage cert making himself 6 yrs older than he was! So now I have some actual Taylors to add to my Taylor family tree, which has really made me happy :D:D

Thank you for your suggestions
                      Clare

Comment

Well done Clare - it´s great when things start falling into place.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine it is:D altho have been trying to explain to my dad and he can't even get his head round where robinson fits in!!:( He needs some diagrams I think!!

Then he piped up he thought his mum knew his father had died in the late 1990s! I've waited for weeks for a death cert from 1989 so he knew all along it was wrong:(
                          Clare

Comment

Make him pay for the next one!
                            Elaine

Comment

I'm going to gently suggest that to mum tomorrow, think he's in shock I've found so much out, he's never known anything about any family and I've just given him father, grandparents and gt grandparents in one phonecall! Quite a lot to take in I guess
                              Clare

Comment

Ooh that´s great - he definitely needs to reward you with the payment of a few certificates!

Now which ones do we need! ;)
                                Elaine

Comment

Or maybe a trip to the LMA for some parish records;) see if we can work out where this name that has appeared on ancestry for ann comes from:D
                                  Clare

Comment

Good thinking! :D:D
                                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                    X