Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened after 1861?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me establish what happened to William and Hannah Dobson after 1861. They were last recorded as living in Oxford Street Scarborough. William was a Shoemaker aged 49 and his wife Hannah was 46. There after, they just seem to dissapear.

I havn't managed to find appopriate death entries for the couple although I may have missed one or two and despite looking for every mistranscription I can think of I have not come up with any possibilities here (although I have to say I am not brilliant when it comes to mistranscriptions!!).

William originated form Pickering where they recorded as living in 1841 and 51 but they do not seem to be there either.

I did wonder if Hannah may have remarried following the death of her husband, however, Hannah Dobson is such a common name that this did not establish any frim leeds.

Any help with this puzzle will be very much appreciated.

Sandra

This is just to say that I'm not getting anywhere with it either.

The fact that Thomas is a boarder (1871) in Oxford Street would seem to indicate that one or both the parents have died, emigrated, moved

Tried 1871 census, deaths and marriages and as you say the name is so common.

Sorry this is no help but I didn't want you to think that nobody's having a go at it.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for trying.

Sandra

Comment

it is a difficult one. have you looked at dodson as a variation for the deaths?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

I have just checked this possibilty and I have not found any thing that fits.

Sandra

Comment

are you sure they stayed in scarborough? they might have died in another district. are there any other relations that appear on the census with them?
            they could have visited a sibling or something.

or maybe they're just really badly mistranscribed.

Comment

about hannah's remarriage (possible) have you looked at likely candidate's and found them in the census under the (new) maried name?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

Thank you for your ideas. I am not sure that they stayed in Scarborough - I just do not know what happened to them!!

All I know is that they are not showing up on census returns and if they were visiting a family member I think I would have found them. They may have died in another district. I just don't know.

With regard to a possible remarriage, theire are rather a lot of Hannah Dobsons to investagate, but this might be a course of action to follow up.

Sandra

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick update to say that I have managed to find William Dobson on the 1881 census still living in Scarborough (1 Hunters Balcony). I am pretty sure that it is him as the occupation is correct. I think the reason that I had not managed to find him before is that his place of birth had been mistranscribed as Malton. On closer scutiny it actually says Wrelton. This is where he was born in Pickering. It would seem that Hannah died as he is listed as a widow.

However, I still have not managed to find them (or him) on the 1871 census. If any one can spot him I would be pleased if you could post a message.

Many thanks, to all those who tried to help yesterday.

Sandra

Comment

I have found William on the 1871 census, living as a lodger at the same address as where he was in 1861. He is living with his daughter Margaret, which was badly mistranscribed and it is no wonder that I couldn't find him in Scarborough as he is listed as living in St. Mary's Yorkshire, this is the parish not the registration district which is clearly shown. Further, his place of birth is Melton!!

Oh the joys of mistranscription!!!

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                      I have found William on the 1871 census, living as a lodger at the same address as where he was in 1861. He is living with his daughter Margaret, which was badly mistranscribed and it is no wonder that I couldn't find him in Scarborough as he is listed as living in St. Mary's Yorkshire, this is the parish not the registration district which is clearly shown. Further, his place of birth is Melton!!

Oh the joys of mistranscription!!!

Sandra
                      WHERE ????
                      I've been having another look and can't see him (1871) was about to give up
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel,

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4815; Folio: 83; Page: 28; GSU roll: 847360.

Can you find him from this?

Sandra

Comment

:D
                          Thanks Sandra
                          I've been going back through the census images and have just found him ... (image 26)

what a relief :D

Comment

Dobson

Hiya
                            In 1861 census, there are two Hannah Dobson's aged 46 & 49 yrs of age.
                            In 1871 census:
                            HANNAH DOBSON aged 57 Scarborough
                            William Dobson aged 59 at Pickering,
                            In 1861 census Pickering
                            William Dobson aged 50 yrs Pickering
                            In 1871 census
                            William Dobson aged 59 yrs Pickering
                            & William Dobson aged 61 yrs Pickering.

So i would say Your William is at Pickering aged 59 yrs maybe visiting & Hannah is at home in Scarborough.
                            As i cannot get into Anc.com for 1871 census. I see her there in 1871 born abt 1816. If anybody can check William Dobson in Pickering in 1871 should be two of them & check on Hannah in 1871 at Scarborough.
                            Then i think they are the correct couple.
                            If William was a shoemaker, then you can bet your boots he was making sea boots etc for the fishermen lol.
                            Could this be Hannah's death Dec Quarter 1880
                            Dobson Hannah Rachel 65 Middlesbro' 9d 379
                            It is not that far up the coast from Scarborough & another fishing port at the time. Aged 65 yrs = born 1814/5
                            All the best
                            tugman

Comment

A quick one
                              Is this William death.
                              Deaths Jun 1887 (>99%)
                              Dobson William 65 Scarbro' 9d 221

tugman

Comment

sorry jumped the gun 10 yrs out he would have been 71 yrs by then
                                Sorry about that.
                                tugman

Comment

Hi Tugman,

The death entry you found is a distinct possibility, as He was alive in 1881 but I can't find him in 1891.

Sandra

Comment

Hannah Dobson

Hello Sandra
                                    Did you manage to check out the Hannah Dobson in 1871 & William also.

tugman

Comment

Hi Tugman,

I managed to find William Dobson living in Scarborough (eventually). He is recorded as a widow. See entry 10 on this post for further details. So it looks like Hannah died between 1861 and 1871

Sandra

Comment

Hiya
                                        Death
                                        Deaths Jun 1869
                                        Dobson Hannah 58 Kirkstall 9b 107
                                        Dobson Hannah 48 Scarbro' 9d 228

except ages don't match birth 1814/16
                                        tugman

Comment

Working...
                                        X