Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Miss Dunt

Any guidance welcome:

My grandfather (killed WW2 1940) is Albert Henry Dunt (b c1900). He was raised by his grandparents as his father William E Dunt b c1880 twice spent time in Fiji with an illness and died young. Albert had no brothers or sisters but was raised with another child. Who is that child??

While his father was in Fiji it is told that Albert's mother [Mabel b c1880] had other admirers. But Albert's father had a sister [Celia Annie Dunt b c1882] who I believe was married in 1899. Family rumour was that all did not go well for her.

I cannot find the married name for Celia Annie Dunt.
    I cannot find mabel's maiden name.

I feel with these I might untangle the puzzle.

All this took place in East London, Central London and ultimately Walthamstow.

Here they are in 1901

DUNT, Frederick Head Married M 47 1854 Warehouse Man Drapers
    DUNT, Sarah Wife Married F 45 1856
    DUNT, William Son Married M 21 1880 Carpenter
    DUNT, Mabel Daughter Married F 20 1881
    DUNT, Lillian Daughter F 11 1890
    DUNT, Albert Grand Son M 0 (7 MOS)

Living in Walthamstow. Celia Annie is now 19 and appears to have left home. She was happily listed with them in 1891.

Any help greatly appreciated. I've tried BMDs but of course limited help. Nigel
    Last edited by nigele2; 16-03-09, 08:14.

I think Celia married Henry Clarke:

Marriages Mar 1899

Clarke Henry W. Ham 4a 317
    Dunt Celia Annie W. Ham 4a 317
    Moody Edwin Fletcher W. Ham 4a 317
    Sands Louisa Mary W. Ham 4a 317

In 1901 (RG13; Piece: 1624; Folio: 119; Page: 26) Celia and her husband have one daughter, Edith L Clarke aged 1.
    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-03-09, 08:30.

Comment

I think Celia and Henry Clarke are together in 1911, but they don't seem to have Edith with them (or any other children). I've found a possible Edith, but am having trouble discovering who she is living with!

Comment

don't worry merry, you'll find them!!

Comment

There's a reference to a William Dunt marriage in Dec 1900 possibly to Mabel Steventon in West Ham on Freebmd
          reference 4a 521
          I've probably been too slow but heyho
          jjj

Comment

Fred & Sarah Dunt are living with Edith Clarke and some one called Albert Henry Clarke (should he be Dunt or Clarke?) who is listed as aged 9.

Hmmmm.......

Comment

so the Mabel in 1901 could be his mother - she is perhaps daug in law, rather than dau
              (transcription says Daughter-in-Law)
              Last edited by Jessbowbag; 16-03-09, 08:48.
              Jess

Comment

The entry for Albert Henry Clarke in 1911 could be correct as there's a chld of that name registered in West Ham district in Q3 of 1901.

But where is Albert Henry Dunt in 1911 or is that him listed as Clarke???

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                  so the Mabel in 1901 could be his mother - she is perhaps daug in law, rather than dau
                  (transcription says Daughter-in-Law)
                  It says Dau-in-law on the image

edit - lol didn't read your post properly!!

Comment

Here comes the money bit! lol

The 1911 census image for Celia and Henry Clarke should show how many living children they have. That might help with sorting out if that is your Albert Dunt with his grandparents or if that Albert is a brother for Edith Clarke.

Also it's possible the transcription is wrong for Albert Clarke and the actual image says Dunt!

I can't find Mabel and/or William Dunt in 1911.

Comment

thank you, thank you, thank you

I have had a chat with my mum and it reminded her of a few more details. The husband of Celia Annie had her locked away in the madhouse. Edith and my grandmother went and got her out. If Celia's husband was evil I guess against such a background you can imagine how Edith may have been passed on to the grandparents. But there are two sides to every story of course.

My mum is late eighties and not in good health but those few details you found gave her a real 30 mins of stimulation (even this early on a Monday) and she remembered things she had not recalled before. Take a bow.

Merry Monty what I don't understand is how you did it. I had similar resources to you (I guess??) and could get no where. Perhaps I need to drop by with a bottle of wine (you're just down the road from my mum in Ringwood) and you could explain it

Well must leave the party as off to Scotland for 2 days work.

Enjoy one and all
                      Last edited by nigele2; 16-03-09, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by nigele2 View Post
                        Merry Monty what I don't understand is how you did it. I had similar resources to you (I guess??) and could get no where. Perhaps I need to drop by with a bottle of wine (you're just down the road from my mum in Ringwood) and you could explain it
                        *Gets out glasses......*

Well must leave the party as off to Scotland for 2 days work.
                        *Puts them away again!*

Merry Monty what I don't understand is how you did it.

I suppose it's just practice really, though the 1911 hasn't been around long

Comment

Working...
                        X