Anyone up for a puzzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a puzzle?

Mary Ann Jennings was born to William and Mary, Elmore gloucestershire, 21.5.1819.
    I am after following her from that.
    This might throw you off or on track. She MAY have married a John Oakley. St Albans.(marriage lists on ancestry)
    Cannot prove that. Would it be in Palletts or some thing a bit off-beat?

Many thanks Happy days

you could order the marriage certificate. she would have married after 1837.

Comment

May Jennings married John Oakley in St Albans in September Quarter 1840 6 622

From Freebmd.

Jill

Comment

Have you found John and Mary in 1841 and 1851 to see if census details help?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          you could order the marriage certificate. she would have married after 1837.
          Not necessarily ... or is my maths even worse than I think
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the above replies. I may have them on the 1851 - not sure. Could send for the cert but was hoping there was an easier route as my link to them is a very long-shot - and I've had too many of them over the last 10 years or so.
            Best wishes Happy days

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
              Not necessarily ... or is my maths even worse than I think
              she would have been 18 in 1837, so most likely made registration.

Comment

Originally posted by dahaniuk View Post
                May Jennings married John Oakley in St Albans in September Quarter 1840 6 622

From Freebmd.

Jill
                That is only a possible marriage as there is more than one couple listed on the page, and we don't know from that who married who.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The marriage is on FamilySearch and John Oakley married Sarah Webb 23 Aug 1840 St Peters, St Albans. Although it is a "submitted" entry, but since Sarah Webb is one of the names with a matching page number on FreeBMD and there is an exact date and church named on the submitted IGI entry, I should think it is very likely to be correct.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by harryhayes View Post
                    Thanks for the above replies. I may have them on the 1851 - not sure.
                    I couldn't see a very good match for Mary in 1851 (if she was Mrs Oakley).

I don't know which family you were thinking of, but why would she go all the way to Hertfordshire to get married? Was John Oakley from that area?

Comment

Oops, post crossed with Kite!

Comment

This might be worth investigating (Gloucester district covers Elmore):

Marriages Dec 1844
                        BARRETT Robert Gloucester 11 419
                        CALE Hannah Gloucester 11 419
                        CLIFFORD Comfort Glo'ster 11 419
                        CURNICK Harriett Glo'ster 11 419
                        JENNINGS Mary Ann Gloster 11 419 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                        LEA Edward Glo'ster 11 419
                        LIMBRICK Richard Gloster 11 419 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

with 1851:

HO107; Piece: 1972; Folio: 7; Page: 7

Richard and Mary (no children) - she is b 1821 Elmore.

Comment

I've found a possible candidate:
                          1851 census has, at Uckington, Elmston Hardwick, Gloucestershire:
                          Richard Limbrick Head Mar 38 Ag Lab Glos Boddington
                          Mary Ann Limbrick Wife Mar 30 Do Elmore

And looking on FreeBMD there is a possible marriage between Richard Limbrick and Mary Ann Jennings Oct-Dec 1844 Gloucester vol 11 page 419 (again, there are several people listed on the page so we can't be sure those two married each other).

(snap, Merry!)
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Many thanks for all above, taking the time and trouble.
                            This would seem to be the family in question )transcribed as Oakey, but the record almost clearly says Oakley.
                            1851 Gloucs St John
                            John Oakley (oakey) 32 letter carrier Churcham Gloucs
                            Mary 31 churcham. John 6; MTR? 2; Mary eliz? one yr All churcham.
                            Mary Hayes mother in law Annuitant again churcham.62 years
                            I am suspicious of all the churchams

I would hope that someone might just possibly put any flesh and bones on the above. Would be hopeful that it traces back to another entry. (Mary AnnJennings born to William and Mary, 21.5. 1819 Elmore Gloucs.

Happy days

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but the Glos baptisms CD has:

OKEY, John (so)
                              Parents : Robert & Elizabeth
                              Address : Churcham
                              Baptised : 6 Jun 1816, Churcham St Andrew

OKEY, John (so)
                              Parents : Robert & Elizabeth
                              Address : Churcham
                              Baptised : 12 Apr 1818, Churcham St Andrew

scuda
                              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Do you have any reason for thinking that Mary Oakley is Mary Ann Jennings? It looks very likely that MAJ from Elmore married Richard Limbrick, don't you think?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks once again to both of you. Does look that way.
                                  As I say, there is a Jennings,Hayes connection over the years. John Oakley married Mary Jennings in St Albans 1840.
                                  The above 1851 census brings all three together. Co-incidence? The Mary Hayes one particularly fascinates me.
                                  Happy days

Comment

Many thanks for all above, taking the time and trouble.
                                    This would seem to be the family in question )transcribed as Oakey, but the record almost clearly says Oakley.
                                    1851 Gloucs St John
                                    John Oakley (oakey) 32 letter carrier Churcham Gloucs
                                    Mary 31 churcham. John 6; MTR? 2; Mary eliz? one yr All churcham.
                                    Mary Hayes mother in law Annuitant again churcham.62 years
                                    I am suspicious of all the churchams

I would hope that someone might just possibly put any flesh and bones on the above. Would be hopeful that it traces back to another entry. (Mary AnnJennings born to William and Mary, 21.5. 1819 Elmore Gloucs.

Happy days
                                    Isn't it more likely that census is these people?:

Marriages Jun 1844

DAW Caroline Glo'ster 11 446
                                    Evans Charles Glo'ster 11 446
                                    HAYES Mary Glo'ster 11 446 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                    Haywood Benjamin Glo'ster 11 446
                                    Jordan Thomas Gloucester 11 446
                                    OAKEY John Gloster 11 446 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                    Phelps Mary Ann Glo'ster 11 446
                                    Southcot Wilmot Gloucester 11 446
                                    Southcott Wilmot Gloucester 11 446

Comment

Thanks once again to both of you. Does look that way.
                                      As I say, there is a Jennings,Hayes connection over the years. John Oakley married Mary Jennings in St Albans 1840.
                                      The above 1851 census brings all three together. Co-incidence? The Mary Hayes one particularly fascinates me.
                                      Happy days
                                      But the St Albans marriage is likely to be John Oakley to Sarah Webb (see earlier post from Kite)

Comment

There's a John and Sarah Oakley living in St Albans in 1951 with a nine-year-old child, so I should think they are good candidates for the 1840 marriage.

Comment

Working...
                                        X