Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who sent grandad away?

Hi everyone
    I'm new on here so please excuse any errors.

My Grandad appears on the Training Ship Mount Edgcumbe, at Saltash in Corwall, in the 1911 Census at the age of 14. He was born in Paddington, and his Father Frederick, a Baker, is still there in 1911.

I've seen records for the ship, but they don't give reasons why the boys are there. Some parents even paid for their sons to go. In 1911 there were 203 boys on the ship, 112 were from the London area.

My question how can I find out why he was sent there? and what records should I be looking for in London.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Dense

Training Ship TS Mount Edgcumbe at Saltash

Hi Dense,
    I have a great uncle (Thomas Kattenhorn) on the training ship in 1911 and looked at this link to try and understand a bit more about it. His parents were both dead and his family didn't appear to take him in but I have the impression he may have been a bit of a handful!

Hope it helps a bit.

Comment

This site shows the admission criteria, but I don't know whether there are any surviving records for individual boys:

Plymouth, Royal Naval Training Ships - Mount Edgcumbe Industrial Training Ship

Comment

Hi Boudicca and Mary from Italy

Thanks for your responses, I have seen most of the sites about the ship and they don'y give any info about how the boys got there.
        I visted the Plymouth record office, they have some annual reports about the ship but no info for me I'm afraid.
        They did have some names of boys who had won Prizes for various events to do with seamanship, but my grandad didn't seem to have won anything.
        If I had had more time I would have copied the names down, but I had spent too much time looking at some other records.

I really need some Juvenile records from London I suppose, but I can't seem to find any.

Thank you both for your replies

Dese

Comment

dont forget he would have left school at 14 so this might be way to get more education?
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

My First Love was sent away to a Training Ship when he was about 14. His mother was divorced, his father was ex-Navy and it was felt that he needed a male influence in his life.

I do know that some naughty boys were sent there too, if it was felt that they were out of parental control or mixing with the wrong sort, etc.

OC

Comment

Hi Tinkerbe And Olde Holden,( I can't bring myself to call you Crone, I'm sure your not)

I realise that he would have left school at 14, and his father was a baker and presumably not as badly off as some people of that time. Also grandad's mother had died when he was 2 years old. So maybe his dad did send him away. It was for one of the family to go on to become a baker so perhaps grandad had a touch of the King Alfred's about him or something.

I would just like to find out a bit more and so I'll keep looking.

Thank you both for your responses

Dense

Comment

g grandfather

Hiya
                I would say he was sent by his father. When it 1st opened it was to help out the child with no family or the trouble kids [mind you nick a loaf & in big trouble]
                Then later took in paying children.
                As you don't give your g grandfather name, then can't check him out for 1914-1918 war service.
                If he stay on in the service then you should be able to get his war service record & even apply for his service medals.
                You could see also how he got on in the service [deck] [engine] or even officer.
                In the fishing villages fathers went into the schools & took their sons out of school at 12/13 yrs to go to sea as galley boys & even took their friends as well.
                Our young kids today with all what they get are very lucky.
                So what ever way he got there, he at least had a better life than other children of his age.
                tugman

Comment

Welcome!

This might be a useful link for you:
                  Plymouth City Council - Archives catalogue

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X