Chancery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chancery

Having had a long break in my research I have come across some information about my Cooks in Kingham, Oxfordshire. I believe I have found the house my ggggrandparents lived in before their deaths in the 1880's. It also said the house went to chancery and was later bought by a Joshua Cook (who may have been their grandson). Is there a way of researching this? Why would it go to Chancery if they had children? Any ideas would be very helpful, thankyou.

Boudicca

The house may have "gone to Chancery" because they did not own the house, someone else did.

They may have had a life tenancy under the terms of someone else's Will and the interpretation of what was to happen to the house was unclear.

OC

Comment

Try searching the National Archives site, which has details of some Chancery cases:

The National Archives Quick Search

Comment

Thanks folks for the suggestions

Comment

If you can find a case in Chancery, then you will have a wonderful time.

There has to be enough money involved for it to be worth anyone's while to bring one (& in the fictional Jarndyce v Jarndyce, lawyers costs exhausted the estate)

It often happens because there IS a will, but its terms are imprecise.

I grew up with a tale of "Money Lost in Chancery" which I did not believe in the least... until, by pure fluke, I met a descendant of the family who had "Money Won in Chancery!"

It happened in the 1870s, was between surnames I had never heard of, and had taken my distant cousin fully a month to research it at Kew.

Victorian Chancery cases are not easy to research. The Byzantine filing practices mean the records may be in any one of a dozen places. But if you do find a way in to the subject, then the records are absolutely fascinating.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I must admit I'm intrigued. They were supposed to have money but I can't understand why their children/grandchildren wouldn't automatically inherit everything.

Comment

They would only inherit automatically if there was NO Will. As Phoenix said, there must either have been a Will, whose intention was open to several interpretations, OR the house did not belong to them, but another member of the family.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X