CWGC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWGC question

I've been trying to narrow down the death date range for a great great uncle, William John Carr born in 1875.

In 1940, his son was killed in the Blitz and on the CWGC site, the son is described as the son of Mr & Mrs Carr of 19 Railway Street. Looking at the first electoral roll after that (1945), William's wife is there alone so I would assume he had died by then but I haven't found a convincing death in between.

Am I right to assume that William was alive in 1940 because he's not listed as the late Mr Carr? I've always found the details on the site very accurate but I suppose it depends what they were given....
    Asa

What about the 1946 list?
    Is William John mentioned there?
    I think I remember looking at 1945 lists to help someone and there were some 'absent' husbands who appeared by the following year.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that, Gwyn. I just assumed because he would be 70 he wouldn't be away from home long enough not to be registered. I need to go back and look some time. Thank you.
      Asa

Comment

I do agree that the wording suggests he was alive in 1940, so I would concentrate a search for after that date.

Comment

Thanks Gwyn - I've always found the site reliable for info so far.
          Asa

Comment

My uncle was described as the son of Mr and Mrs ******* but his father had been dead for many years.
            Fran

Comment

Ah right, Fran - I suppose I need to go back and look at the electoral rolls before 1940 and after 1945. Thanks:-)
              Asa

Comment

Working...
              X